Apr 30, 2012, 8:31 PM EDT
Depending on whom you ask, St. Louis Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo is either a stride behind, a stride ahead or just-plain-equal to semi-famous Los Angeles Kings blueliner Drew Doughty. In fact, he might have enjoyed a demonstratively better 2011-12 season. Wherever you stand there, the Kings will get the upper hand in that battle in Game 2 because Pietrangelo won’t even be on the ice according to Dennis Bernstein.
In fact, Bernstein reports that it “may be longer than a one-game absence.”
The talented, under-the-radar defenseman didn’t leave Game 1 right away after taking a controversial boarding hit from Kings winger Dwight King but eventually missed the rest of the contest. St. Louis was upset that King didn’t receive a double-minor or even a major penalty for that hit, but either way, the Blues fell to the Kings (and King) in Game 1.
The Blues are a team that’s very familiar with fighting through key injuries – particularly “upper body ones” as we’ve seen with Andy McDonald and David Perron in particular – but Pietrangelo joins David Backes as the most “indispensable” players on a deep roster. Beating the too-good-to-be-an-eight-seed Kings was already a tough task, yet doing it without a borderline Norris-worthy defenseman will be that much tougher.
Ken Hitchcock’s Jack Adams credentials will be put to the test once again – starting tonight at 9 pm ET on CNBC.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)