Apr 30, 2012, 1:15 PM EST
The talented-but-maligned forward was whistled for two penalties Saturday in Washington’s 3-1 loss to the Rangers, one of them a retaliatory slash on New York’s Ryan Callahan that canceled a Capitals power play.
However, that wasn’t the reason he was demoted to the fourth line, if you believe what coach Dale Hunter said yesterday.
“No, just mixing the lines up,” Hunter said, as per NHL.com. “The one, he went for the puck and he hit a skate. The other one, both of them should’ve went. It was a cross check. If you watch the replay, [Callahan] cross checked him first. But you can’t retaliate. You just can’t retaliate. The ref, he called one. He could’ve easily called two. But that’s the way it goes.”
Today, Hunter said he still expects Semin to contribute offensively.
“He’ll go out and work hard,” Hunter said. “We need him to score goals for us, we need him to play good on the PP.”
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 46
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 32
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 6
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 32
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 132
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (132)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (112)