Apr 30, 2012, 1:15 PM EST
The talented-but-maligned forward was whistled for two penalties Saturday in Washington’s 3-1 loss to the Rangers, one of them a retaliatory slash on New York’s Ryan Callahan that canceled a Capitals power play.
However, that wasn’t the reason he was demoted to the fourth line, if you believe what coach Dale Hunter said yesterday.
“No, just mixing the lines up,” Hunter said, as per NHL.com. “The one, he went for the puck and he hit a skate. The other one, both of them should’ve went. It was a cross check. If you watch the replay, [Callahan] cross checked him first. But you can’t retaliate. You just can’t retaliate. The ref, he called one. He could’ve easily called two. But that’s the way it goes.”
Today, Hunter said he still expects Semin to contribute offensively.
“He’ll go out and work hard,” Hunter said. “We need him to score goals for us, we need him to play good on the PP.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)