Apr 30, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
While we’ve seen Alex Ovechkin play the role of battering ram through the playoffs as well as the occasional sniper, there’s another part to his game that he wants to see put to use.
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley hears it from Ovechkin that his speed is something the team should use to their advantage to try and deal with the Rangers’ staunch defense.
“If I want to have [scoring] opportunities they have to give me the puck at full speed in the neutral zone because in the [offensive] zone it’s harder because they have [Dan] Girardi and another guy [Ryan McDonagh] on me.”
Girardi and McDonagh have been making opposing skilled players miserable all season long and when you throw Marc Staal into the mix as well, there’s just not a lot of room for guys like Ovechkin or Alexander Semin to move around on the ice. Ovechkin says he has to find ways to get the puck and get into shooting lanes, other things the Rangers are great at eliminating.
We haven’t seen the dominating Ovechkin much in the playoffs but if he can get free and do the things he says will work, betting against him succeeding would be a bad idea.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 10
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54