Apr 30, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
While we’ve seen Alex Ovechkin play the role of battering ram through the playoffs as well as the occasional sniper, there’s another part to his game that he wants to see put to use.
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley hears it from Ovechkin that his speed is something the team should use to their advantage to try and deal with the Rangers’ staunch defense.
“If I want to have [scoring] opportunities they have to give me the puck at full speed in the neutral zone because in the [offensive] zone it’s harder because they have [Dan] Girardi and another guy [Ryan McDonagh] on me.”
Girardi and McDonagh have been making opposing skilled players miserable all season long and when you throw Marc Staal into the mix as well, there’s just not a lot of room for guys like Ovechkin or Alexander Semin to move around on the ice. Ovechkin says he has to find ways to get the puck and get into shooting lanes, other things the Rangers are great at eliminating.
We haven’t seen the dominating Ovechkin much in the playoffs but if he can get free and do the things he says will work, betting against him succeeding would be a bad idea.
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 21
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 17
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 13
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)