Apr 30, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
While we’ve seen Alex Ovechkin play the role of battering ram through the playoffs as well as the occasional sniper, there’s another part to his game that he wants to see put to use.
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley hears it from Ovechkin that his speed is something the team should use to their advantage to try and deal with the Rangers’ staunch defense.
“If I want to have [scoring] opportunities they have to give me the puck at full speed in the neutral zone because in the [offensive] zone it’s harder because they have [Dan] Girardi and another guy [Ryan McDonagh] on me.”
Girardi and McDonagh have been making opposing skilled players miserable all season long and when you throw Marc Staal into the mix as well, there’s just not a lot of room for guys like Ovechkin or Alexander Semin to move around on the ice. Ovechkin says he has to find ways to get the puck and get into shooting lanes, other things the Rangers are great at eliminating.
We haven’t seen the dominating Ovechkin much in the playoffs but if he can get free and do the things he says will work, betting against him succeeding would be a bad idea.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (40)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)