Apr 29, 2012, 11:34 PM EDT
With the Nashville Predators now down 2-0 in their series against the Phoenix Coyotes, head coach Barry Trotz has a lot of questions to answer. One thing he didn’t do was throw big-money goalie Pekka Rinne under the bus, as he mostly excused him from the blame game according to Dennis Bernstein.
“He’s been OK but the team in front of him hasn’t,” Trotz said. “Our defensive core has been real light – people staring at the puck and not taking anyone.”
“Too many guys didn’t bring their A game,” Trotz said. “We’re not detailed enough as we were in (the Detroit) series.”
It’s weird to think that a Predators team might “believe their press clippings,” but perhaps Nashville is taking the Coyotes a little too lightly. (Or maybe Phoenix is a lot better than most people realized.)
Trotz’s criticism of the team-wide game makes a lot of sense for a variety of reasons, but the Predators’ 5-on-5 play is the most glaring area of worry. Nashville scored on both of its power plays and killed both Coyotes man advantages, which means that the team was a -4 in even strength play in Game 2.
Those are the kind of simple numbers that will give defense-minded coaches like Trotz indigestion and it’s obvious that the Predators need to find some relief – fast.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)