Apr 29, 2012, 11:34 PM EST
With the Nashville Predators now down 2-0 in their series against the Phoenix Coyotes, head coach Barry Trotz has a lot of questions to answer. One thing he didn’t do was throw big-money goalie Pekka Rinne under the bus, as he mostly excused him from the blame game according to Dennis Bernstein.
“He’s been OK but the team in front of him hasn’t,” Trotz said. “Our defensive core has been real light – people staring at the puck and not taking anyone.”
“Too many guys didn’t bring their A game,” Trotz said. “We’re not detailed enough as we were in (the Detroit) series.”
It’s weird to think that a Predators team might “believe their press clippings,” but perhaps Nashville is taking the Coyotes a little too lightly. (Or maybe Phoenix is a lot better than most people realized.)
Trotz’s criticism of the team-wide game makes a lot of sense for a variety of reasons, but the Predators’ 5-on-5 play is the most glaring area of worry. Nashville scored on both of its power plays and killed both Coyotes man advantages, which means that the team was a -4 in even strength play in Game 2.
Those are the kind of simple numbers that will give defense-minded coaches like Trotz indigestion and it’s obvious that the Predators need to find some relief – fast.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 3
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 32
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)