Apr 29, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT
Last night’s Game 1 between the Blues and Kings wasn’t without controversy as L.A.’s Dwight King hit St. Louis’ Alex Pietrangelo from behind on a play many felt was worthy of a five-minute major. Pietrangelo left the game with an apparent head injury and may not be able to play in Game 2.
The NHL offered up an explanation as to what referees Stephen Walkom and Eric Furlatt saw on the play and chances are Blues fans aren’t going to like hearing it.
NHL supervisor for officiating in the Blues-Kings series Kay Whitmore says that the referees didn’t initially deem the hit to be violent enough to warrant a major penalty. As for what happened when Pietrangelo was cut and bleeding from the hit, Whitmore says had officials seen it, things would’ve been different.
“There was no visible blood. If it was running down his forehead or his cheek, it’s automatic. It’s a major game-misconduct. In this instance, they didn’t see it initially right away. They didn’t see the blood running down his chin, in his beard … one of those things.”
As for supplementary discipline, Whitmore says Brendan Shanahan’s office reviews everything and if they believe action should be taken, they’ll do it. If you missed the play, have another look at it here in last night’s highlights.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)