Apr 29, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
Lisa Halverstadt of The Arizona Republic reports the City of Glendale is crafting a plan to find a way to help Jamison to finalize a deal to purchase the Coyotes from the NHL.
Glendale’s chief negotiator told the council last week that any deal with a new Coyotes owner will require millions of taxpayer dollars each year. Keeping the team in Glendale means shouldering the cost of managing Jobing.com Arena, where the team plays, City Manager Ed Beasley said.
To sum up the details for you, here goes nothing:
- The fee to operate the arena will be $17 million next year. The City of Glendale currently owes the NHL $25 million to cover for losses incurred by the team staying in town without an owner and operating the arena this season.
- That $17 million will go to Jamison so his group can operate Jobing.com Arena.
Should this part of a potential deal be true, the ever-watchful eye of the Goldwater Institute may have something to say about seeing that much money being used to help land the team. The City of Glendale has a $35 million budget shortfall this year much in part thanks to the money they owe the NHL already.
As far as how serious Jamison is about this, he’s reportedly still searching for investors to help purchase the team but the City of Glendale has put all their support behind Jamison to get a deal done. There’s no deadline for the NHL to have a deal worked out, but the sooner the better to keep the wolves from Seattle and Quebec City at bay that would be interested in buying the team.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)