Apr 29, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
The Capitals’ practice in New York City today yielded one bit of news.
According to CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley, coach Dale Hunter had forward Alexander Semin skating on the fourth line alongside Keith Aucoin and Mike Knuble. Hunter has been a stickler for accountability since becoming the Caps coach and after seeing Semin take two bad penalties in yesterday’s Game 1 loss to New York, Semin is apparently paying the price with a demotion.
Moving up in the world thanks to Semin being moved down was Joel Ward who jumps to the third line while the second line features Nicklas Backstrom centering Marcus Johansson and Jason Chimera. The top line of Brooks Laich centering Alex Ovechkin and Troy Brouwer remained unchanged.
Having Semin come up small like that in Game 1 was a tough blow for the Capitals and they’ll be banking on him returning to the form he showed in the first round where he was an all-around threat.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)