Apr 29, 2012, 8:03 PM EDT
For about half of Game 1’s opening period, it seemed like the Philadelphia Flyers were sleepwalking from a week-long playoff hibernation. In that time, the New Jersey Devils generated a 1-0 lead and 11-0 shot advantage, a start that Claude Giroux called “embarrassing” and “not acceptable.”
Flyers bench boss Peter Laviolette was pleased that his team bounced back from that bumbling beginning to dominate the majority of the contest and eventually take the win.
“I’m happy to see the response from the team after the first period and in the last 45 minutes of play,” Laviolette said.
Game 1 revealed both sides of the long layoff vs. short rest coin. The Flyers seemed to hit the snooze button a couple extra times but an aging Devils team might have shown some fatigue from going into double OT in a Game 7 on Thursday. New Jersey coach Peter DeBoer didn’t use that as an excuse, but he admitted that the Devils couldn’t keep up the momentum of a good start, according to Tom Gulitti.
“We couldn’t sustain what we did in the first period,” DeBoer said. “They took the game over in the second half and when you’re just hanging on, that’s what happens.”
Ilya Kovalchuk was the scapegoat in many peoples’ eyes, even if defensemen such as Marek Zidlicky and Peter Harrold had blunders of their own. Kovalchuk seemed to sum up the way things went for the Devils, whether he held some of the blame or not.
“We kind of just started sitting back and you can’t do that against this team,” Kovalchuk said.
That’s certainly true. It seems like coming back from an early deficit is becoming the Flyers’ natural habitat.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)