Apr 29, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
If you’re wondering about why Ilya Bryzgalov has been so quiet lately, that’s for a good reason. Ever since talking about his fear of bears and then being nearly eaten alive early in the first round by the Penguins, Bryzgalov has gone about his business very quietly and that’s by design.
As Randy Miller of the Courier Post Online notes, getting to talk to Bryzgalov is impossible now but his teammates have complete faith that he’ll get the job done against New Jersey in the Eastern Conference semifinals.
“We have a lot of confidence in Bryz,” Flyers center Claude Giroux said. “He’s a veteran and knows what he has to do out there. Defensively, we have to do a better job in front of him, and I think we will.”
Danny Briere also feels strong that Bryzgalov will do well with the Devils and that’s much in part to his stellar numbers against them this season. Bryzgalov is 3-0-0 with a 0.29 goals-against average and a .987 save percentage with two shutouts. With those kinds of numbers, it’s easy to feel confident. If he can continue that sort of play in the postseason, Bryzgalov can go ahead and not talk to as many people as he wants to.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 1
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)