Apr 28, 2012, 10:39 AM EDT
It’s been a bad year for Dustin Penner. He’s struggled to score goals, he’s been a healthy scratch on occasion, gotten divorced, and hurt himself eating delicious pancakes. Now with the Kings in the second round of the playoffs, Penner is getting another lease on life and is getting moved to the Kings’ second line.
Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times hears from coach Darryl Sutter as to why he’s giving Penner a promotion and about what he’s hoping the burly forward can draw on to succeed.
“He’s had a really tough year and so he’s got to draw on the experience he had before, winning, that he can still be a really good contributor,” Sutter said Friday. “And we liked him in the last series so we need him to have that again.”
Penner was good against the Canucks with a goal and an assist and his goal being the game-winner in Game 1. Crashing the net and making things uncomfortable for goalies is what Penner is capable of doing. Actually doing it and being effective with the puck, that’s been an issue and one Penner’s new linemates Mike Richards and Jeff Carter hope is one he’s got a hold of now.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 7
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 22
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 16
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)