Apr 28, 2012, 10:39 AM EDT
It’s been a bad year for Dustin Penner. He’s struggled to score goals, he’s been a healthy scratch on occasion, gotten divorced, and hurt himself eating delicious pancakes. Now with the Kings in the second round of the playoffs, Penner is getting another lease on life and is getting moved to the Kings’ second line.
Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times hears from coach Darryl Sutter as to why he’s giving Penner a promotion and about what he’s hoping the burly forward can draw on to succeed.
“He’s had a really tough year and so he’s got to draw on the experience he had before, winning, that he can still be a really good contributor,” Sutter said Friday. “And we liked him in the last series so we need him to have that again.”
Penner was good against the Canucks with a goal and an assist and his goal being the game-winner in Game 1. Crashing the net and making things uncomfortable for goalies is what Penner is capable of doing. Actually doing it and being effective with the puck, that’s been an issue and one Penner’s new linemates Mike Richards and Jeff Carter hope is one he’s got a hold of now.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)