Apr 28, 2012, 10:39 AM EDT
It’s been a bad year for Dustin Penner. He’s struggled to score goals, he’s been a healthy scratch on occasion, gotten divorced, and hurt himself eating delicious pancakes. Now with the Kings in the second round of the playoffs, Penner is getting another lease on life and is getting moved to the Kings’ second line.
Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times hears from coach Darryl Sutter as to why he’s giving Penner a promotion and about what he’s hoping the burly forward can draw on to succeed.
“He’s had a really tough year and so he’s got to draw on the experience he had before, winning, that he can still be a really good contributor,” Sutter said Friday. “And we liked him in the last series so we need him to have that again.”
Penner was good against the Canucks with a goal and an assist and his goal being the game-winner in Game 1. Crashing the net and making things uncomfortable for goalies is what Penner is capable of doing. Actually doing it and being effective with the puck, that’s been an issue and one Penner’s new linemates Mike Richards and Jeff Carter hope is one he’s got a hold of now.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)