Apr 28, 2012, 10:39 AM EST
It’s been a bad year for Dustin Penner. He’s struggled to score goals, he’s been a healthy scratch on occasion, gotten divorced, and hurt himself eating delicious pancakes. Now with the Kings in the second round of the playoffs, Penner is getting another lease on life and is getting moved to the Kings’ second line.
Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times hears from coach Darryl Sutter as to why he’s giving Penner a promotion and about what he’s hoping the burly forward can draw on to succeed.
“He’s had a really tough year and so he’s got to draw on the experience he had before, winning, that he can still be a really good contributor,” Sutter said Friday. “And we liked him in the last series so we need him to have that again.”
Penner was good against the Canucks with a goal and an assist and his goal being the game-winner in Game 1. Crashing the net and making things uncomfortable for goalies is what Penner is capable of doing. Actually doing it and being effective with the puck, that’s been an issue and one Penner’s new linemates Mike Richards and Jeff Carter hope is one he’s got a hold of now.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (124)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)