Apr 28, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have a 1-0 series lead after winning Friday’s game in overtime, but it wasn’t exactly a pretty victory. They were out shot 42-24 overall and badly outplayed in the third period.
“We’re taking the Coyote Ugly thing to a new level,” said Phoenix GM Don Maloney jokingly.
The Coyotes are starting to get a reputation for blowing leads late in the third period. They’ve managed to get by so far, but there’s certainly room for improvement going into Game 2 on Sunday.
“This game’s huge,” Phoenix’s Shane Doan said. “Everyone talks about the second and third games of a series, and we’ve got to find a way to win this next one. We didn’t play bad, we didn’t play great, but we found a way to win, and we’ve got to do it again. I don’t care how.”
Game 1 was Nashville’s first contest in a week, so rust might have been an issue for them. In addition, the pressure will be on the Predators to get a win and avoid going down 2-0 in the series.
Phoenix will probably have their work cut out for them on Sunday.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 22
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 52
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39