Apr 28, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have a 1-0 series lead after winning Friday’s game in overtime, but it wasn’t exactly a pretty victory. They were out shot 42-24 overall and badly outplayed in the third period.
“We’re taking the Coyote Ugly thing to a new level,” said Phoenix GM Don Maloney jokingly.
The Coyotes are starting to get a reputation for blowing leads late in the third period. They’ve managed to get by so far, but there’s certainly room for improvement going into Game 2 on Sunday.
“This game’s huge,” Phoenix’s Shane Doan said. “Everyone talks about the second and third games of a series, and we’ve got to find a way to win this next one. We didn’t play bad, we didn’t play great, but we found a way to win, and we’ve got to do it again. I don’t care how.”
Game 1 was Nashville’s first contest in a week, so rust might have been an issue for them. In addition, the pressure will be on the Predators to get a win and avoid going down 2-0 in the series.
Phoenix will probably have their work cut out for them on Sunday.
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 0
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 50
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)