Apr 28, 2012, 9:50 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes have a 1-0 series lead after winning Friday’s game in overtime, but it wasn’t exactly a pretty victory. They were out shot 42-24 overall and badly outplayed in the third period.
“We’re taking the Coyote Ugly thing to a new level,” said Phoenix GM Don Maloney jokingly.
The Coyotes are starting to get a reputation for blowing leads late in the third period. They’ve managed to get by so far, but there’s certainly room for improvement going into Game 2 on Sunday.
“This game’s huge,” Phoenix’s Shane Doan said. “Everyone talks about the second and third games of a series, and we’ve got to find a way to win this next one. We didn’t play bad, we didn’t play great, but we found a way to win, and we’ve got to do it again. I don’t care how.”
Game 1 was Nashville’s first contest in a week, so rust might have been an issue for them. In addition, the pressure will be on the Predators to get a win and avoid going down 2-0 in the series.
Phoenix will probably have their work cut out for them on Sunday.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 0
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 6
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 11
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 29
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5