Apr 28, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have a 1-0 series lead after winning Friday’s game in overtime, but it wasn’t exactly a pretty victory. They were out shot 42-24 overall and badly outplayed in the third period.
“We’re taking the Coyote Ugly thing to a new level,” said Phoenix GM Don Maloney jokingly.
The Coyotes are starting to get a reputation for blowing leads late in the third period. They’ve managed to get by so far, but there’s certainly room for improvement going into Game 2 on Sunday.
“This game’s huge,” Phoenix’s Shane Doan said. “Everyone talks about the second and third games of a series, and we’ve got to find a way to win this next one. We didn’t play bad, we didn’t play great, but we found a way to win, and we’ve got to do it again. I don’t care how.”
Game 1 was Nashville’s first contest in a week, so rust might have been an issue for them. In addition, the pressure will be on the Predators to get a win and avoid going down 2-0 in the series.
Phoenix will probably have their work cut out for them on Sunday.
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 4
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 27
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 27
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 25