Apr 28, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have a 1-0 series lead after winning Friday’s game in overtime, but it wasn’t exactly a pretty victory. They were out shot 42-24 overall and badly outplayed in the third period.
“We’re taking the Coyote Ugly thing to a new level,” said Phoenix GM Don Maloney jokingly.
The Coyotes are starting to get a reputation for blowing leads late in the third period. They’ve managed to get by so far, but there’s certainly room for improvement going into Game 2 on Sunday.
“This game’s huge,” Phoenix’s Shane Doan said. “Everyone talks about the second and third games of a series, and we’ve got to find a way to win this next one. We didn’t play bad, we didn’t play great, but we found a way to win, and we’ve got to do it again. I don’t care how.”
Game 1 was Nashville’s first contest in a week, so rust might have been an issue for them. In addition, the pressure will be on the Predators to get a win and avoid going down 2-0 in the series.
Phoenix will probably have their work cut out for them on Sunday.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)