Apr 28, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT
The New York Rangers and Washington Capitals combined for just 32 shots on goal in the Rangers’ 3-1 victory on Saturday. Braden Holtby was never asked to stop more than six shots in a single period. Which, as it turns out, might have been part of the problem for Holtby.
He admitted after the game that facing just 14 shots on goal made it difficult for him to remain focused. Keep in mind, that the Boston Bruins managed at least 29 shots on goal in each of their seven first-round contests.
The Washington netminder can’t be completely blamed for this loss, but there was certainly room for improvement. Some of those goals looked preventable on his end, even if his teammates could have also done more on those plays.
It would be inaccurate to say that Holtby needs to win this series all by himself if the Capitals are to advance. Washington’s defense, while not flawless, shouldn’t be underestimated. Similarly, Holtby didn’t defeat the Boston Bruins on his own, but he was a star in that series. It might be unfair to ask of a rookie goaltender, but the Capitals need him to be a star again.
He wasn’t terrible in Game 1, but he certainly didn’t emerge as a hero – and now the New York Rangers are up 1-0.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)