Apr 28, 2012, 1:43 PM EST
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello didn’t hold back from praising goalie Martin Brodeur after New Jersey beat Florida Thursday to advance to the second round.
“I think his performance speaks for itself,” Lamoriello told The Record. “There’s no one who I would want as a goaltender in a seven-game series other than Marty. I’ve said that often, maybe because I’ve seen it so much.”
Brodeur was rock solid in Game 7, stopping 43 of 45 shots in a game that went to double overtime.
The 39-year-old didn’t get off to a great start in these playoffs, but in the four games after getting pulled in Game 3, he allowed just six goals on 119 shots (.950 SV%).
Brodeur is a pending UFA and there’s been talk this could be his last season with the Devils, be it through retirement or the club deciding to go in a different direction.
In December, he said he’d consider playing for a different team if New Jersey didn’t want him anymore.
“In the future you never know, but I don’t want to [play for a different team],” Brodeur said. “But if I want to play — and I have so much respect for this organization — and if they don’t feel I’m the guy for them and they want to move on, if I still want to play I have to look after myself. I don’t see that happening, but I can’t say no.”
The Devils will need to address their future in goal at some point. However, if Brodeur still wants to play next season, it’s hard to see the club bidding adieu to the man that helped it win three Stanley Cups.
Besides, even if they do decide to bring in a youngster, who better to learn from?
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 1
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 27
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 44
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15