Apr 28, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello didn’t hold back from praising goalie Martin Brodeur after New Jersey beat Florida Thursday to advance to the second round.
“I think his performance speaks for itself,” Lamoriello told The Record. “There’s no one who I would want as a goaltender in a seven-game series other than Marty. I’ve said that often, maybe because I’ve seen it so much.”
Brodeur was rock solid in Game 7, stopping 43 of 45 shots in a game that went to double overtime.
The 39-year-old didn’t get off to a great start in these playoffs, but in the four games after getting pulled in Game 3, he allowed just six goals on 119 shots (.950 SV%).
Brodeur is a pending UFA and there’s been talk this could be his last season with the Devils, be it through retirement or the club deciding to go in a different direction.
In December, he said he’d consider playing for a different team if New Jersey didn’t want him anymore.
“In the future you never know, but I don’t want to [play for a different team],” Brodeur said. “But if I want to play — and I have so much respect for this organization — and if they don’t feel I’m the guy for them and they want to move on, if I still want to play I have to look after myself. I don’t see that happening, but I can’t say no.”
The Devils will need to address their future in goal at some point. However, if Brodeur still wants to play next season, it’s hard to see the club bidding adieu to the man that helped it win three Stanley Cups.
Besides, even if they do decide to bring in a youngster, who better to learn from?
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 4
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 12
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12