Apr 28, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello didn’t hold back from praising goalie Martin Brodeur after New Jersey beat Florida Thursday to advance to the second round.
“I think his performance speaks for itself,” Lamoriello told The Record. “There’s no one who I would want as a goaltender in a seven-game series other than Marty. I’ve said that often, maybe because I’ve seen it so much.”
Brodeur was rock solid in Game 7, stopping 43 of 45 shots in a game that went to double overtime.
The 39-year-old didn’t get off to a great start in these playoffs, but in the four games after getting pulled in Game 3, he allowed just six goals on 119 shots (.950 SV%).
Brodeur is a pending UFA and there’s been talk this could be his last season with the Devils, be it through retirement or the club deciding to go in a different direction.
In December, he said he’d consider playing for a different team if New Jersey didn’t want him anymore.
“In the future you never know, but I don’t want to [play for a different team],” Brodeur said. “But if I want to play — and I have so much respect for this organization — and if they don’t feel I’m the guy for them and they want to move on, if I still want to play I have to look after myself. I don’t see that happening, but I can’t say no.”
The Devils will need to address their future in goal at some point. However, if Brodeur still wants to play next season, it’s hard to see the club bidding adieu to the man that helped it win three Stanley Cups.
Besides, even if they do decide to bring in a youngster, who better to learn from?
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)