Apr 28, 2012, 9:57 AM EDT
Reading and hearing about the hateful language thrown Joel Ward‘s way for simply scoring a series-winning goal has been one of the uglier stories of the playoffs. For Ward, it’s something he’s accepted that he’ll have to deal with.
Ward talks about what he’s had to hear about recently but for him, it’s something he’s had to deal with but tries to ignore it all.
“I don’t let it bother me at all,” Ward said as the Capitals returned to practice ahead of tonight’s Game 1 against the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference semifinals. “It’s a few people that just made a couple of terrible comments, and what can you do? I know what I signed up for. I’m a black guy playing a predominantly white sport. It’s just going to come with the territory. I’d feel naive or foolish to think that it doesn’t exist. It’s a battle I think will always be there.”
It’s sad to see things play out like this in that Ward feels it’s part of the deal to play in the NHL. It shouldn’t have to be that way, but hateful language in the hands (or fingertips in this case) of a pack of ignoramuses makes sure to bring this issue to the forefront.
While Ward has had a tough first season in Washington, perhaps his game-winning goal in Game 7 is what he needed to become the playoff force we remember from last season.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)