Is the hangover real? Marchand and Lucic admit to lacking motivation in the playoffs

Apr 28, 2012, 2:08 PM EDT

Alex Ovechkin, Brad Marchand, Milan Lucic

The season started with all sorts of talk about the Bruins suffering from a Stanley Cup hangover. That all got put away when they went on a 10-game winning streak and ran away with the Northeast Division title.

With how the Bruins season ended in a seventh game in overtime to the Capitals, however, what the Bruins are saying makes you wonder just how long a hangover can last. Brad Marchand and Milan Lucic tell CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty finding motivation this season was a lot harder and winning the Cup had something to do with it.

“It played a part in it. We had a long year, a short schedule and another tough season again this year. It made it a challenge to get prepared this year,” said Marchand. “You don’t notice it until after it happens. You’re obviously excited for the playoffs, but the hype of last year didn’t really feel the same [this year]. But at some point you have to find a way to get yourself engaged and prepare for the game.”

Lucic compared how much hockey the Bruins played the last two seasons and the schedule it provides to being like a baseball schedule. Lots of play and not a lot of time off. If words like these sound familiar, it’s because we heard the same from Chicago’s Duncan Keith last season as Brian Hedger from NHL.com shared when the Blackhawks found themselves down against Vancouver.

“This year for me was frustrating,” the reigning Norris Trophy winner said at O’Hare Airport after the Hawks returned from Vancouver. “I felt like it had really good stretches and then there (were) times I would just … I don’t want to say … lose focus, but just was not really … interested for whatever reason.”

Is the Stanley Cup hangover just a convenient excuse or, gasp, a narrative to play along with or is there truth in just being worn out and not having the motivation?

1. solador78 - Apr 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Funny how the truly great dynasties never had this problem.

• billlaforge22 - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Good point. The last two dynasties (Edmonton Oilers, New York Islanders) played 80-game regular seasons and the same number of playoff rounds. I wonder what might have changed.

• bigbadbruins1968 - Apr 29, 2012 at 9:51 AM

And the first round of the SC playoffs was best of five, not best of seven. But playing up to four fewer games shouldn’t make that much of a difference. I think the difference is the players themselves.

2. dadawg77 - Apr 28, 2012 at 3:05 PM

With parity of the cap, this probably mean more then ever.

3. watermelon1 - Apr 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Yeah… The bruins really showed a lack of motivation when they were jumping at the chance to take cheap shots after pretty much every whistle. If you don’t care, you’re not worried about tryin to rough someone up after every play is over.

Bottom line, bruins lacked the talent that the Caps had. DC finally started playing a little defense and it turns out Holtby should never have been sent back down to Hershey after going 10-2 last year. Volkoun was a horrible signin… As the problems with Varly and Neuvirth were not then, but the horrible defense in front of them.

Caps got it going, and they are going to take out the frustrations of all the early exits the past couple years. The OVECHTRICK is coming!

4. broadstbully33 - Apr 28, 2012 at 3:15 PM

WOW!!!i would demand all my hard earned cash back for my playoff tickets….stay lazy and racist boston

5. habsman - Apr 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Lets face it, they won the (Campbell) Cup last year because of Tim Thomas and Greg Campbell, and now they’re getting ready to throw Thomas under a bus. Typical.

The playoffs are over for Boston fans. Maybe they’ll be able to host the next KKK convention. Classy fan base eh?

• 8man - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I’m at the point where whenever I see a thread about the Bruins I ask myself, “Self, what’s habsman gonna say about this?”

And you never disappoint. Consistant, hateful and petulent. This may be a good time for you to explain your conspiracy theory of how the NHL engineered the Bruins Cup run last year.

And as soon as the Caps won game 7, I picture you dancing in your Guy Lafleur underoos singing madly, “The Bruins lost! Boston sucks! I’m the man….”

• habsman - Apr 28, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Actually, I cracked a $140.00 bottle of Scotch.

• 8man - Apr 29, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Well then, you did it the right way.

• banshee950 - Apr 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM

$140 scotch to celebrate another teams defeat?? you need to let go of the hate my freind, it’s unhealthy and we care about you. I’d have shelved that bottle and popped a beer to toast the Habs being knocked out. Top shelf stuff is for a victory celebration. Don’t tell me that I have more faith that your beloved Habs will be back on top soon than you do?

• habsman - Apr 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Thanks for the concern banshee.

Truth be told? I don’t need too much of an excuse to crack a bottle of single malt.

• 8man - Apr 30, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Yeah. Watch the news. More reasons than ever.

6. 66gdub - Apr 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Showing their true colors; these guys are bums!

7. nolesshabitual - Apr 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM

This disgusts me to hear from my team. The motivation is ho good you felt last summer versus how crappy you felt blowing 3-0 to Philly. This isn’t peewee, you play to win. And pile on all you want but in order: The caps haven’t won anything but one first round series where they outscored the Bruins by 1 over 25 periods of hockey. Philly fans should really talk about hate, go throw some batteries at freaking Santa Claus and cheering for a dog killer (oh and if you say that’s all in the past, so is the racism in boston outside of a few internet trolls.) The Habs are the cheapest team in the damn league you could sneeze towards P.K. Subban and incur a roughing minor, so for you to claim the Bruins gamed the system is laughable, just keep trolling because you’re gonna have alot of time in the late spring for the next few years.

8. broadstbully33 - Apr 28, 2012 at 4:52 PM

we threw snowballs at santa because he was drunk…..just fyi and yes that does make it right

• nolesshabitual - Apr 28, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Alright, how about batteries at Dick Allen an African American Baseball player to the point he had to wear a batting helmet while playing the field? Sounds pretty racist to me on top of being unruly, and again being in the past is no defense if Boston’s past is relevant to the discussion.

9. thehighcountrybear - Apr 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM

The season’s twelve games too long, and then there’s the interminably long playoffs…it’s no wonder these guys burn-out? The NHL milks the sports dollar dry with precious little regard for player health or the integrity of the game. There isn’t a player who upon elimination, is at once disappointed while quietly gleeful the season’s over and they can actually relax and heal! The endless train of hotels and travel, and the limited stimulation in facing of one arena after another while answering the same pointless questions with the same pointless answers has got to be a massive drain on mental energy if nothing else…

10. neelyisgod - Apr 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

The OVECHTRICK lmao they are gonna get swept.

11. kcredneck - Apr 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I WOULDN’T WANT THOSE TWO ON MY TEAM, THE MONEY AND CONTRACT OBVIOUSLY DON’T MEAN A THING, NOT TO MENTION THE FANS SPENDING THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY. F BOSTON AND CHERRY’S BIG BAD BRUINS!

12. kcredneck - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

A hockey puck has more brains than these Gomers, what PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE would admit to it, truly amazing? ?????????

13. hank10 - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Wow. If you can’t find motivation to repeat as champions, and to be in the playoffs, there’s something wrong. How many of us wish we could be a pro player and going for the Cup?

14. kitshky - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I hate Boston teams more than a stepdad hates his ginger stepson …but almost all of these comments are ridiculous.

There’s plenty to hate on the Bruins for, we don’t need your manufactured anger over a couple of players admitting to being burnt out. Oh the travesty of it all!!

15. 8man - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I’ll take Lucic and Marchand on my team any day. Go Boston!

16. kcredneck - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

We don’t need your comments on my comments, they said it i didnt, figure it out.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches