Apr 28, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
After finishing off the Ottawa Senators in Game 7, New York Rangers superstar goalie Henrik Lundqvist said their second round opponents, the Washington Capitals, remind him a lot of his own team.
“They’re a little bit like this team,” Lundqvist said. “Their top guys are really talented. They make some big plays out of nothing. We have to be ready.”
As for how to prepare for a more defensive Caps team, Lundqvist says the routine doesn’t change much for him. The Caps, like the Rangers, block shots rather than pump them in on goal, but that matters not for the Vezina finalist.
“I don’t know, honestly, how much is going to change game-wise. For me personally it doesn’t really change. I’m gonna get coached the same way, I’m gonna play my game the same way.”
Lundqvist is no stranger to seeing the Washington Capitals in the playoffs. Two times he’s faced Washington in the postseason in 2009 and 2011 and came away the loser in the series, going down in seven games in 2009 and in five games last season. That’s not something that’s going to bother him, however.
“The past is the past. I don’t think about all that. It’s different teams,” Lundqvist says. “We’re in a different place, they’re in a different place. Going into that, we’re going to approach it the same way of course. We’re not going to over-think it or do too much.”
Over-thinking things could be the Rangers’ undoing if they get frustrated by the Caps’ defensive ways. Lundqvist will have to play the foil for Washington if New York is to keep Cinderella from dancing right along.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)