Apr 28, 2012, 11:50 AM EST
After finishing off the Ottawa Senators in Game 7, New York Rangers superstar goalie Henrik Lundqvist said their second round opponents, the Washington Capitals, remind him a lot of his own team.
“They’re a little bit like this team,” Lundqvist said. “Their top guys are really talented. They make some big plays out of nothing. We have to be ready.”
As for how to prepare for a more defensive Caps team, Lundqvist says the routine doesn’t change much for him. The Caps, like the Rangers, block shots rather than pump them in on goal, but that matters not for the Vezina finalist.
“I don’t know, honestly, how much is going to change game-wise. For me personally it doesn’t really change. I’m gonna get coached the same way, I’m gonna play my game the same way.”
Lundqvist is no stranger to seeing the Washington Capitals in the playoffs. Two times he’s faced Washington in the postseason in 2009 and 2011 and came away the loser in the series, going down in seven games in 2009 and in five games last season. That’s not something that’s going to bother him, however.
“The past is the past. I don’t think about all that. It’s different teams,” Lundqvist says. “We’re in a different place, they’re in a different place. Going into that, we’re going to approach it the same way of course. We’re not going to over-think it or do too much.”
Over-thinking things could be the Rangers’ undoing if they get frustrated by the Caps’ defensive ways. Lundqvist will have to play the foil for Washington if New York is to keep Cinderella from dancing right along.
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 5
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 3
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 9
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15