Apr 28, 2012, 5:15 PM EST
James van Riemsdyk returned from a foot injury for Game 5 of Philadelphia’s first-round series against Pittsburgh, but he didn’t get much playing time. He logged just 7:31 minutes in his series debut and 6:46 minutes in Game 6 on April 22.
Philadelphia didn’t require a Game 7 and they’ve had plenty of time to rest and prepare for the second round. For van Riemsdyk, that’s meant another week to heal and practice ahead of Sunday’s contest against the New Jersey Devils.
Nothing has been confirmed, but it looks like the extra time has paid off and van Riemsdyk will play a bigger role in the second round. He skated alongside Danny Briere and Jakub Voracek on Saturday, although practice lines should be taken with a grain of salt.
“No comments on lines,” Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said, “if you want to run with that [theory on change] you are more than welcome to; just leave me out of it.”
Ultimately, we’ll have to wait until Sunday to know for sure, but it wouldn’t be surprising if we see more of van Riemsdyk going forward.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)