Apr 28, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
James van Riemsdyk returned from a foot injury for Game 5 of Philadelphia’s first-round series against Pittsburgh, but he didn’t get much playing time. He logged just 7:31 minutes in his series debut and 6:46 minutes in Game 6 on April 22.
Philadelphia didn’t require a Game 7 and they’ve had plenty of time to rest and prepare for the second round. For van Riemsdyk, that’s meant another week to heal and practice ahead of Sunday’s contest against the New Jersey Devils.
Nothing has been confirmed, but it looks like the extra time has paid off and van Riemsdyk will play a bigger role in the second round. He skated alongside Danny Briere and Jakub Voracek on Saturday, although practice lines should be taken with a grain of salt.
“No comments on lines,” Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said, “if you want to run with that [theory on change] you are more than welcome to; just leave me out of it.”
Ultimately, we’ll have to wait until Sunday to know for sure, but it wouldn’t be surprising if we see more of van Riemsdyk going forward.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)