Apr 28, 2012, 5:15 PM EST
James van Riemsdyk returned from a foot injury for Game 5 of Philadelphia’s first-round series against Pittsburgh, but he didn’t get much playing time. He logged just 7:31 minutes in his series debut and 6:46 minutes in Game 6 on April 22.
Philadelphia didn’t require a Game 7 and they’ve had plenty of time to rest and prepare for the second round. For van Riemsdyk, that’s meant another week to heal and practice ahead of Sunday’s contest against the New Jersey Devils.
Nothing has been confirmed, but it looks like the extra time has paid off and van Riemsdyk will play a bigger role in the second round. He skated alongside Danny Briere and Jakub Voracek on Saturday, although practice lines should be taken with a grain of salt.
“No comments on lines,” Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said, “if you want to run with that [theory on change] you are more than welcome to; just leave me out of it.”
Ultimately, we’ll have to wait until Sunday to know for sure, but it wouldn’t be surprising if we see more of van Riemsdyk going forward.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)