Apr 28, 2012, 5:50 PM EST
Both the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals came into Game 1 being veterans in close games. With numerous one-goal wins and losses between the two teams after the first round, you figured today’s game would be close.
It was and the Rangers showed their mettle in taking control in the third period to earn a 3-1 victory over the Capitals. Rookie Chris Kreider scored the go-ahead goal in the third and was quickly followed by Brad Richards‘ insurance goal to give the Rangers a two-goal victory. Kreider finished the game with a goal and an assist and was named first star of the game.
Caps rookie goalie Braden Holtby did all he could to keep his team in it, but his defense let him down with their breakdowns in the third period as Kreider and Richards both had plenty of space and time to score.
Some thoughts to take with you into the comments:
—- Who knew rookies would be all the rage? Chris Kreider and Braden Holtby getting and earning a ton of attention with their play. Who’s impressing you so far?
—- Safe to say the Rangers would’ve liked to have more than 14 shots on goal. Making them count sure pays off though.
—- Alexander Semin had a game to forget with a pair of bad penalties.
—- Both teams looked poor on the power play going 0-4
—- Finally, check out Kreider’s third period goal that turned out to be the game-winner.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 13
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 15
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)