Apr 28, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
Both the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals came into Game 1 being veterans in close games. With numerous one-goal wins and losses between the two teams after the first round, you figured today’s game would be close.
It was and the Rangers showed their mettle in taking control in the third period to earn a 3-1 victory over the Capitals. Rookie Chris Kreider scored the go-ahead goal in the third and was quickly followed by Brad Richards‘ insurance goal to give the Rangers a two-goal victory. Kreider finished the game with a goal and an assist and was named first star of the game.
Caps rookie goalie Braden Holtby did all he could to keep his team in it, but his defense let him down with their breakdowns in the third period as Kreider and Richards both had plenty of space and time to score.
Some thoughts to take with you into the comments:
—- Who knew rookies would be all the rage? Chris Kreider and Braden Holtby getting and earning a ton of attention with their play. Who’s impressing you so far?
—- Safe to say the Rangers would’ve liked to have more than 14 shots on goal. Making them count sure pays off though.
—- Alexander Semin had a game to forget with a pair of bad penalties.
—- Both teams looked poor on the power play going 0-4
—- Finally, check out Kreider’s third period goal that turned out to be the game-winner.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)