Apr 28, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
Both the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals came into Game 1 being veterans in close games. With numerous one-goal wins and losses between the two teams after the first round, you figured today’s game would be close.
It was and the Rangers showed their mettle in taking control in the third period to earn a 3-1 victory over the Capitals. Rookie Chris Kreider scored the go-ahead goal in the third and was quickly followed by Brad Richards‘ insurance goal to give the Rangers a two-goal victory. Kreider finished the game with a goal and an assist and was named first star of the game.
Caps rookie goalie Braden Holtby did all he could to keep his team in it, but his defense let him down with their breakdowns in the third period as Kreider and Richards both had plenty of space and time to score.
Some thoughts to take with you into the comments:
—- Who knew rookies would be all the rage? Chris Kreider and Braden Holtby getting and earning a ton of attention with their play. Who’s impressing you so far?
—- Safe to say the Rangers would’ve liked to have more than 14 shots on goal. Making them count sure pays off though.
—- Alexander Semin had a game to forget with a pair of bad penalties.
—- Both teams looked poor on the power play going 0-4
—- Finally, check out Kreider’s third period goal that turned out to be the game-winner.
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 0
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 2
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 26
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (86)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination