Apr 28, 2012, 12:27 AM EST
Phoenix had a 3-2 lead through 40 minutes, but they were absolutely overwhelmed in the third period. The Predators managed to tie the game with just 4:42 minutes to spare. Still, as they were able to do several times against Chicago in the first round, the Coyotes came through in overtime to earn a 4-3 victory and take a 1-0 series lead.
Here’s a few interesting points:
- After going scoreless in the opening round, Phoenix’s Radim Vrbata and Nashville’s Brandon Yip each found the back of the net in the first period.
- Phoenix had a league-leading 94.7 penalty killing percentage in the first round and Nashville had a poor 9.1% power-play success rate. Despite that, the Predators got a critical late goal with the man advantage.
- Six of the Coyotes’ seven playoff games have gone to overtime.
- Nashville out shot Phoenix 16-1 in the third period and 42-24 overall.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)