Apr 28, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
One of the most impressive lines the New York Rangers threw out late in their series against Ottawa was one featuring captain Ryan Callahan, rookie Chris Kreider, and second-year forward Derek Stepan. They were the line that saw the bulk of the clutch minutes late in the Rangers’ Game 7 win and while Kreider is getting his fair share of attention, Stepan might be the guy that makes it all go.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post lauds Stepan’s play saying it reminds him of what Bryan Trottier used to do with the Islanders. As Stepan tells Brooks, he’s just trying to do what he can to help win games.
“I approach every game with the same mindset and the same principle no matter who I’m playing with,” Stepan said yesterday on the one day between Game 7 against Ottawa and today’s Game 1 against Washington. “Artie [Artem Anisimov] and Gabby [Marian Gaborik] might have different abilities than Cally and Kreids, but the mindset is to skate and work on every shift and do what I can to get my wingers the puck.
“That doesn’t ever change.”
Being the set-up man doesn’t always get you the attention, goals are king after all, but if Stepan can continue feeling comfortable in this role and feeding the puck to his linemates, the Rangers will be more than happy to see his point totals climb. Goals were at a premium against Ottawa and Stepan finished with a goal and three assists. More of that against Washington could see the Rangers move on to the Eastern Conference finals.
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 8
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)