Apr 27, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
According to a recent report, the Montreal Canadiens search for a GM might end within the next three weeks.
Although we don’t have a complete list of candidates, perhaps the most intriguing name that’s surfaced has been Patrick Roy. The famous former goaltender has expressed some interest in the job and Canadiens adviser Serge Savard recently reached out to Roy.
Regardless of who they select, the next Canadiens’ GM will be faced with a difficult task. Although the Canadiens do have some great, young players, they are also stuck with some very unappealing contracts. According to capgeek.com, Montreal has already committed $45,837,143 to 15 players for next season. That’s not even including Carey Price, who is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer.
If the salary cap shrinks due to the new CBA, the Canadiens might be among the biggest victims. With that in mind, whoever Montreal picks better be resourceful and creative.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 7
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 11
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)