Apr 27, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
According to a recent report, the Montreal Canadiens search for a GM might end within the next three weeks.
Although we don’t have a complete list of candidates, perhaps the most intriguing name that’s surfaced has been Patrick Roy. The famous former goaltender has expressed some interest in the job and Canadiens adviser Serge Savard recently reached out to Roy.
Regardless of who they select, the next Canadiens’ GM will be faced with a difficult task. Although the Canadiens do have some great, young players, they are also stuck with some very unappealing contracts. According to capgeek.com, Montreal has already committed $45,837,143 to 15 players for next season. That’s not even including Carey Price, who is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer.
If the salary cap shrinks due to the new CBA, the Canadiens might be among the biggest victims. With that in mind, whoever Montreal picks better be resourceful and creative.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 39
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)