Apr 27, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
According to a recent report, the Montreal Canadiens search for a GM might end within the next three weeks.
Although we don’t have a complete list of candidates, perhaps the most intriguing name that’s surfaced has been Patrick Roy. The famous former goaltender has expressed some interest in the job and Canadiens adviser Serge Savard recently reached out to Roy.
Regardless of who they select, the next Canadiens’ GM will be faced with a difficult task. Although the Canadiens do have some great, young players, they are also stuck with some very unappealing contracts. According to capgeek.com, Montreal has already committed $45,837,143 to 15 players for next season. That’s not even including Carey Price, who is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer.
If the salary cap shrinks due to the new CBA, the Canadiens might be among the biggest victims. With that in mind, whoever Montreal picks better be resourceful and creative.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 0
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 1
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)