Apr 27, 2012, 8:45 AM EST
According to a recent report, the Montreal Canadiens search for a GM might end within the next three weeks.
Although we don’t have a complete list of candidates, perhaps the most intriguing name that’s surfaced has been Patrick Roy. The famous former goaltender has expressed some interest in the job and Canadiens adviser Serge Savard recently reached out to Roy.
Regardless of who they select, the next Canadiens’ GM will be faced with a difficult task. Although the Canadiens do have some great, young players, they are also stuck with some very unappealing contracts. According to capgeek.com, Montreal has already committed $45,837,143 to 15 players for next season. That’s not even including Carey Price, who is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer.
If the salary cap shrinks due to the new CBA, the Canadiens might be among the biggest victims. With that in mind, whoever Montreal picks better be resourceful and creative.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 10
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 25
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 6
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)