Apr 27, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
According to a recent report, the Montreal Canadiens search for a GM might end within the next three weeks.
Although we don’t have a complete list of candidates, perhaps the most intriguing name that’s surfaced has been Patrick Roy. The famous former goaltender has expressed some interest in the job and Canadiens adviser Serge Savard recently reached out to Roy.
Regardless of who they select, the next Canadiens’ GM will be faced with a difficult task. Although the Canadiens do have some great, young players, they are also stuck with some very unappealing contracts. According to capgeek.com, Montreal has already committed $45,837,143 to 15 players for next season. That’s not even including Carey Price, who is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer.
If the salary cap shrinks due to the new CBA, the Canadiens might be among the biggest victims. With that in mind, whoever Montreal picks better be resourceful and creative.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)