Apr 27, 2012, 12:48 AM EST
We’re down to the Conference semifinal stage — or the Elite 8, to steal some college basketball parlance — of the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs. The story of the opening round was upsets, upsets and more upsets:
– Top overall seed Vancouver, the Presidents’ Trophy winner, lost to No. 8 Los Angeles.
– Boston, the defending Stanley Cup champion, lost to Washington.
– Pittsburgh, who finished with the fourth-most points (109) in the NHL, lost to Philadelphia.
As such, we’re left with a pretty interesting Round 2.
No. 2 St. Louis vs. No. 8 Los Angeles
No. 3 Phoenix vs. No. 4 Nashville
No. 1 New York Rangers vs. No. 7 Washington
No. 5 Philadelphia vs. No. 6 New Jersey
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 1
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 15
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 28