Apr 27, 2012, 12:48 AM EST
We’re down to the Conference semifinal stage — or the Elite 8, to steal some college basketball parlance — of the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs. The story of the opening round was upsets, upsets and more upsets:
– Top overall seed Vancouver, the Presidents’ Trophy winner, lost to No. 8 Los Angeles.
– Boston, the defending Stanley Cup champion, lost to Washington.
– Pittsburgh, who finished with the fourth-most points (109) in the NHL, lost to Philadelphia.
As such, we’re left with a pretty interesting Round 2.
No. 2 St. Louis vs. No. 8 Los Angeles
No. 3 Phoenix vs. No. 4 Nashville
No. 1 New York Rangers vs. No. 7 Washington
No. 5 Philadelphia vs. No. 6 New Jersey
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8