Apr 27, 2012, 10:52 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers came close to advancing to the second round. They battled into the second overtime period of Game 7, but their season ended on Thursday – or technically early Friday if you are in the Eastern Time Zone – all the same.
“It stings. It stings to lose at home,” Florida’s Stephen Weiss said. “But we’ve got some bright years ahead. We’ve got some kids coming up that are pretty darn good players. So it’ll be a fun summer training, and we’ll try to do it all over again next year.”
What Weiss said is true. The Coyotes might not be regarded as a rebuilding team because Panthers GM Dale Tallon was so aggressive in the 2011 free agent market, but they have a great farm system.
“A successful season is right, a winning season,” Tallon said. “Regardless if we hadn’t gone in the playoffs, we went up 22 points over last year. And you look at my record, we want to get better every year and we exceeded expectations this year. But it doesn’t surprise me knowing the character of these players that we brought in. They really care.”
Florida also has a healthy amount of cap space going into the summer, so Tallon has some flexibility moving forward. It took the Panthers over a decade to get back to the playoffs. They shouldn’t have to wait that long again.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)