Apr 27, 2012, 10:52 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers came close to advancing to the second round. They battled into the second overtime period of Game 7, but their season ended on Thursday – or technically early Friday if you are in the Eastern Time Zone – all the same.
“It stings. It stings to lose at home,” Florida’s Stephen Weiss said. “But we’ve got some bright years ahead. We’ve got some kids coming up that are pretty darn good players. So it’ll be a fun summer training, and we’ll try to do it all over again next year.”
What Weiss said is true. The Coyotes might not be regarded as a rebuilding team because Panthers GM Dale Tallon was so aggressive in the 2011 free agent market, but they have a great farm system.
“A successful season is right, a winning season,” Tallon said. “Regardless if we hadn’t gone in the playoffs, we went up 22 points over last year. And you look at my record, we want to get better every year and we exceeded expectations this year. But it doesn’t surprise me knowing the character of these players that we brought in. They really care.”
Florida also has a healthy amount of cap space going into the summer, so Tallon has some flexibility moving forward. It took the Panthers over a decade to get back to the playoffs. They shouldn’t have to wait that long again.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)