Apr 27, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
The first two were locks. Malkin scored 50 goals for Pittsburgh and led the league in points with 109, 12 more than the next highest scorer.
The next highest scorer was Stamkos, but he had 60 goals for Tampa Bay, the most in the league by a wide margin.
The Rangers’ Lundqvist will raise a few eyebrows because of the position he plays. The last time a goalie won the Hart was 2002, when Jose Theodore was honored.
Since then, it’s been a combination of Art Ross Trophy (most points) and Rocket Richard Trophy (most goals) winners.
The favorite has to be Malkin. Over Stamkos because the Penguins made the playoffs and the Lightning didn’t. Over Lundqvist because there are those who believe the King wasn’t even the best goalie in the NHL this season.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 10
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 20
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 125
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (125)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)