Apr 27, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
The first two were locks. Malkin scored 50 goals for Pittsburgh and led the league in points with 109, 12 more than the next highest scorer.
The next highest scorer was Stamkos, but he had 60 goals for Tampa Bay, the most in the league by a wide margin.
The Rangers’ Lundqvist will raise a few eyebrows because of the position he plays. The last time a goalie won the Hart was 2002, when Jose Theodore was honored.
Since then, it’s been a combination of Art Ross Trophy (most points) and Rocket Richard Trophy (most goals) winners.
The favorite has to be Malkin. Over Stamkos because the Penguins made the playoffs and the Lightning didn’t. Over Lundqvist because there are those who believe the King wasn’t even the best goalie in the NHL this season.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (53)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)