Apr 27, 2012, 6:01 PM EST
Say this about Ken Hitchcock — the man has high standards.
After his St. Louis Blues responded to a series-opening loss to San Jose with four straight wins, you’d think Hitch would be nothing but complimentary of his squad.
“Look, Jackman and Shattenkirk had a tough first round,” Hitchcock said. “They didn’t play as well as they played during the regular season. We’re going to need them to play better here. They’re going to need to be significant players in the second round.”
The Jackman-Shattenkirk pairing is a pretty traditional one — Jackman’s the robust, physical, stay-at-home guy that allows Shattenkirk to be the offensive, puck-moving guy.
It just didn’t go to plan in Round 1.
Jackman finished with a team-worst minus-2 rating while Shattenkirk recorded just a single assist. But numbers don’t tell the whole story — Hitch wasn’t all that pleased with their defensive work, either. It’s why he gave more minutes to the Roman Polak-Kris Russell pairing, which ended up being a pleasant surprise.
“It forced us to play that pair more, and then we found out the more we played them in significant roles and checking roles, the better they played,” Hitch said of Polak/Russell. “Once we narrowed their focus and they became checking pair of defensemen, they had a big impact in the games.”
In explaining why Polak and Russell are successful, Hitchcock might’ve been providing a solution for Jackman and Shattenkirk’s recent woes.
“When they play together, they keep it simple and basic,” Hitchcock said. “When you’re in a series, those types of players have a big impact.”
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)