Apr 27, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
This just in from the NHL’s department of “Whoa, that’s insane!” Following are a few things about the first round of the playoffs that the league thinks you may find interesting.
Sixteen of the 48 opening-round games (33.3%) required overtime, breaking the mark of 15 set in 2001. In addition, three games featured go-ahead goals in the final five minutes of regulation. Seven of the eight series had at least one overtime game.
Thirty-two of the 48 first-round games (66.7%) had one-goal margins. Teams were either tied or separated by one goal for 82.8% of total playing time.
There were 12 games in which both clubs held the lead, more than double the total from the corresponding period in 2011 (five).
Historic Road Dominance
Road teams finished the opening round with a 30-18 (.625) record, the highest winning percentage since the NHL switched to the 16-team playoff format in 1979-80.
That last one is pretty wacky. Consider: The Kings won all three of their games in Vancouver. The Caps took three of four at Boston. In the Chicago-Phoenix series, the road team went 5-1.
I blame the fans for not cheering hard enough.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 7
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)