Apr 27, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
This just in from the NHL’s department of “Whoa, that’s insane!” Following are a few things about the first round of the playoffs that the league thinks you may find interesting.
Sixteen of the 48 opening-round games (33.3%) required overtime, breaking the mark of 15 set in 2001. In addition, three games featured go-ahead goals in the final five minutes of regulation. Seven of the eight series had at least one overtime game.
Thirty-two of the 48 first-round games (66.7%) had one-goal margins. Teams were either tied or separated by one goal for 82.8% of total playing time.
There were 12 games in which both clubs held the lead, more than double the total from the corresponding period in 2011 (five).
Historic Road Dominance
Road teams finished the opening round with a 30-18 (.625) record, the highest winning percentage since the NHL switched to the 16-team playoff format in 1979-80.
That last one is pretty wacky. Consider: The Kings won all three of their games in Vancouver. The Caps took three of four at Boston. In the Chicago-Phoenix series, the road team went 5-1.
I blame the fans for not cheering hard enough.
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 0
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 6
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 27
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)