Apr 27, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
This just in from the NHL’s department of “Whoa, that’s insane!” Following are a few things about the first round of the playoffs that the league thinks you may find interesting.
Sixteen of the 48 opening-round games (33.3%) required overtime, breaking the mark of 15 set in 2001. In addition, three games featured go-ahead goals in the final five minutes of regulation. Seven of the eight series had at least one overtime game.
Thirty-two of the 48 first-round games (66.7%) had one-goal margins. Teams were either tied or separated by one goal for 82.8% of total playing time.
There were 12 games in which both clubs held the lead, more than double the total from the corresponding period in 2011 (five).
Historic Road Dominance
Road teams finished the opening round with a 30-18 (.625) record, the highest winning percentage since the NHL switched to the 16-team playoff format in 1979-80.
That last one is pretty wacky. Consider: The Kings won all three of their games in Vancouver. The Caps took three of four at Boston. In the Chicago-Phoenix series, the road team went 5-1.
I blame the fans for not cheering hard enough.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)