Apr 27, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
This just in from the NHL’s department of “Whoa, that’s insane!” Following are a few things about the first round of the playoffs that the league thinks you may find interesting.
Sixteen of the 48 opening-round games (33.3%) required overtime, breaking the mark of 15 set in 2001. In addition, three games featured go-ahead goals in the final five minutes of regulation. Seven of the eight series had at least one overtime game.
Thirty-two of the 48 first-round games (66.7%) had one-goal margins. Teams were either tied or separated by one goal for 82.8% of total playing time.
There were 12 games in which both clubs held the lead, more than double the total from the corresponding period in 2011 (five).
Historic Road Dominance
Road teams finished the opening round with a 30-18 (.625) record, the highest winning percentage since the NHL switched to the 16-team playoff format in 1979-80.
That last one is pretty wacky. Consider: The Kings won all three of their games in Vancouver. The Caps took three of four at Boston. In the Chicago-Phoenix series, the road team went 5-1.
I blame the fans for not cheering hard enough.
- Video: Boston quickly erases Chicago’s late lead 0
- Video: Bruins, Hawks combine for five goals in 11 minutes during wild second period 5
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 61
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 24
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming