Apr 27, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
Earlier today, the NHL announced its three finalists for the Hart Memorial Trophy, awarded annually to the league’s most valuable player: Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin, Tampa Bay’s Steve Stamkos and New York Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist.
Notably absent from that list? Flyers forward Claude Giroux.
Interesting omission given what Giroux did this year. He led Philadelphia in scoring, finished third in the league in points (93), second in assists (65) and won 53.7 percent of his faceoffs. He also led a team that traded away its captain (Mike Richards) and perennial 30-goal man (Jeff Carter) to 47 wins and 103 points.
That said, Giroux didn’t seem bothered by not getting in on the Hart.
“Which one is that?” Giroux asked.
“I’m kidding!” he laughed. “Ah, no, I didn’t see the news but at the end of the day, that’s not the trophy I want. Obviously, it’s not something I control and a detail I don’t care a lot about.”
Hopes were high that Giroux would be third Flyer to win league MVP — Bobby Clarke (x3) and Eric Lindros were the others — and snap Philly’s streak of 17 years without a Hart Trophy winner.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 25
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 12
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)