Apr 27, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
Earlier today, the NHL announced its three finalists for the Hart Memorial Trophy, awarded annually to the league’s most valuable player: Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin, Tampa Bay’s Steve Stamkos and New York Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist.
Notably absent from that list? Flyers forward Claude Giroux.
Interesting omission given what Giroux did this year. He led Philadelphia in scoring, finished third in the league in points (93), second in assists (65) and won 53.7 percent of his faceoffs. He also led a team that traded away its captain (Mike Richards) and perennial 30-goal man (Jeff Carter) to 47 wins and 103 points.
That said, Giroux didn’t seem bothered by not getting in on the Hart.
“Which one is that?” Giroux asked.
“I’m kidding!” he laughed. “Ah, no, I didn’t see the news but at the end of the day, that’s not the trophy I want. Obviously, it’s not something I control and a detail I don’t care a lot about.”
Hopes were high that Giroux would be third Flyer to win league MVP — Bobby Clarke (x3) and Eric Lindros were the others — and snap Philly’s streak of 17 years without a Hart Trophy winner.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)