Apr 27, 2012, 2:16 PM EST
Along with Blue Jackets owner John P. McConnell and Nationwide Realty Investors president Brian Ellis, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman in Columbus today to unveil the 2013 All-Star Game logo.
The event will be held in Columbus on Jan. 26-27 from Nationwide Arena. Previously, the Blue Jackets had hosted the NHL Entry Draft in 2007 at Nationwide.
“The Blue Jackets are proud to host the 2013 All-Star Game and showing the NHL’s greatest players, league and club personnel, business partners, media and guests from around the world all the great things our community has to offer,” John P. McConnell said. “We are working with the League to create a variety of events to give all fans the chance to celebrate our great game as this event would not be coming to Columbus if it wasn’t for the outstanding support of Blue Jackets fans.”
The 2013 NHL All-Star Game logo, developed by Frederick & Froberg Design and NHL Creative Services, was inspired by the Ohio state flag that anchors the Columbus Blue Jackets team identity as well as the team’s close association with Ohio’s Civil War history.
The ASG is a big get for Columbus, a franchise that doesn’t have a lot of All-Star experience. To that point, here is the list of Blue Jackets that have participated in annual gathering of stars:
Fun fact: In 2002, the NHL was still using that “World vs. North America” format that led to some pretty dicey selections (see: Knutsen, Espen.) Others included Tommy Salo, Jaroslav Modry and, for reasons that still remain unclear, Mike York.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 13
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 15
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)