Apr 27, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
Along with Blue Jackets owner John P. McConnell and Nationwide Realty Investors president Brian Ellis, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman in Columbus today to unveil the 2013 All-Star Game logo.
The event will be held in Columbus on Jan. 26-27 from Nationwide Arena. Previously, the Blue Jackets had hosted the NHL Entry Draft in 2007 at Nationwide.
“The Blue Jackets are proud to host the 2013 All-Star Game and showing the NHL’s greatest players, league and club personnel, business partners, media and guests from around the world all the great things our community has to offer,” John P. McConnell said. “We are working with the League to create a variety of events to give all fans the chance to celebrate our great game as this event would not be coming to Columbus if it wasn’t for the outstanding support of Blue Jackets fans.”
The 2013 NHL All-Star Game logo, developed by Frederick & Froberg Design and NHL Creative Services, was inspired by the Ohio state flag that anchors the Columbus Blue Jackets team identity as well as the team’s close association with Ohio’s Civil War history.
The ASG is a big get for Columbus, a franchise that doesn’t have a lot of All-Star experience. To that point, here is the list of Blue Jackets that have participated in annual gathering of stars:
Fun fact: In 2002, the NHL was still using that “World vs. North America” format that led to some pretty dicey selections (see: Knutsen, Espen.) Others included Tommy Salo, Jaroslav Modry and, for reasons that still remain unclear, Mike York.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)