Apr 27, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
Along with Blue Jackets owner John P. McConnell and Nationwide Realty Investors president Brian Ellis, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman in Columbus today to unveil the 2013 All-Star Game logo.
The event will be held in Columbus on Jan. 26-27 from Nationwide Arena. Previously, the Blue Jackets had hosted the NHL Entry Draft in 2007 at Nationwide.
“The Blue Jackets are proud to host the 2013 All-Star Game and showing the NHL’s greatest players, league and club personnel, business partners, media and guests from around the world all the great things our community has to offer,” John P. McConnell said. “We are working with the League to create a variety of events to give all fans the chance to celebrate our great game as this event would not be coming to Columbus if it wasn’t for the outstanding support of Blue Jackets fans.”
The 2013 NHL All-Star Game logo, developed by Frederick & Froberg Design and NHL Creative Services, was inspired by the Ohio state flag that anchors the Columbus Blue Jackets team identity as well as the team’s close association with Ohio’s Civil War history.
The ASG is a big get for Columbus, a franchise that doesn’t have a lot of All-Star experience. To that point, here is the list of Blue Jackets that have participated in annual gathering of stars:
Fun fact: In 2002, the NHL was still using that “World vs. North America” format that led to some pretty dicey selections (see: Knutsen, Espen.) Others included Tommy Salo, Jaroslav Modry and, for reasons that still remain unclear, Mike York.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)