Apr 27, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
Along with Blue Jackets owner John P. McConnell and Nationwide Realty Investors president Brian Ellis, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman in Columbus today to unveil the 2013 All-Star Game logo.
The event will be held in Columbus on Jan. 26-27 from Nationwide Arena. Previously, the Blue Jackets had hosted the NHL Entry Draft in 2007 at Nationwide.
“The Blue Jackets are proud to host the 2013 All-Star Game and showing the NHL’s greatest players, league and club personnel, business partners, media and guests from around the world all the great things our community has to offer,” John P. McConnell said. “We are working with the League to create a variety of events to give all fans the chance to celebrate our great game as this event would not be coming to Columbus if it wasn’t for the outstanding support of Blue Jackets fans.”
The 2013 NHL All-Star Game logo, developed by Frederick & Froberg Design and NHL Creative Services, was inspired by the Ohio state flag that anchors the Columbus Blue Jackets team identity as well as the team’s close association with Ohio’s Civil War history.
The ASG is a big get for Columbus, a franchise that doesn’t have a lot of All-Star experience. To that point, here is the list of Blue Jackets that have participated in annual gathering of stars:
Fun fact: In 2002, the NHL was still using that “World vs. North America” format that led to some pretty dicey selections (see: Knutsen, Espen.) Others included Tommy Salo, Jaroslav Modry and, for reasons that still remain unclear, Mike York.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)