Apr 27, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
Along with Blue Jackets owner John P. McConnell and Nationwide Realty Investors president Brian Ellis, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman in Columbus today to unveil the 2013 All-Star Game logo.
The event will be held in Columbus on Jan. 26-27 from Nationwide Arena. Previously, the Blue Jackets had hosted the NHL Entry Draft in 2007 at Nationwide.
“The Blue Jackets are proud to host the 2013 All-Star Game and showing the NHL’s greatest players, league and club personnel, business partners, media and guests from around the world all the great things our community has to offer,” John P. McConnell said. “We are working with the League to create a variety of events to give all fans the chance to celebrate our great game as this event would not be coming to Columbus if it wasn’t for the outstanding support of Blue Jackets fans.”
The 2013 NHL All-Star Game logo, developed by Frederick & Froberg Design and NHL Creative Services, was inspired by the Ohio state flag that anchors the Columbus Blue Jackets team identity as well as the team’s close association with Ohio’s Civil War history.
The ASG is a big get for Columbus, a franchise that doesn’t have a lot of All-Star experience. To that point, here is the list of Blue Jackets that have participated in annual gathering of stars:
Fun fact: In 2002, the NHL was still using that “World vs. North America” format that led to some pretty dicey selections (see: Knutsen, Espen.) Others included Tommy Salo, Jaroslav Modry and, for reasons that still remain unclear, Mike York.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)