Apr 27, 2012, 7:03 PM EDT
The New York Rangers and Washington Capitals have two great goaltenders in Henrik Lundqvist and Braden Holtby, but their netminders also get a lot of support. In the first round of the playoffs, the Rangers and Capitals led the league with 155 and 139 blocked shots respectively.
To put that in perspective, their first round opponents – the Boston Bruins and Ottawa Senators – only blocked a combined 172 shots.
“It’s definitely huge. Everyone knows that. Everyone knows you have to pay, [to] sacrifice to win in the playoffs,” goaltender Holtby said. “We did that in the first round. Obviously, the Rangers are known for doing it. It’s a challenge for our guys to get it through and on [Henrik] Lundqvist, and I don’t think we’ll be taking any steps back in terms of sacrificing.”
Of course, with both teams trying to get in front of as many shots as possible, they’ll have to modify their offensive strategy a bit to compensate.
“You have to try to miss the net a little bit. You just have to the shoot by the block,” Capitals coach Dale Hunter said. “You can’t hit the net as much so you have to miss the net by 10 feet and then hopefully it bounces back out in front.”
It’s worth noting that Washington and New York also employed a pretty physical style of play in the first round. This might turn into a painful series for those on the ice.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)