Apr 27, 2012, 1:12 AM EDT
Martin Brodeur might be on the verge of 40, but he looked awfully spry when the Florida Panthers were breathing down the New Jersey Devils’ necks. Sure, he allowed two third period goals, yet he wouldn’t yield on the Panthers’ many other opportunities. The 3-2 win in double OT gave the Devils a 4-3 series win, allowing the team to advance to the second round for the first time since 2007.
Brodeur allowed himself to reflect on the win for just a little while with Tom Gulitti.
“It feels good for a day and then after that you’ve got to face the Flyers,” Brodeur said.
Uh oh, the Devils might be resting on their accomplishments too much. New York Rangers coach John Tortorella is allowing his team “an hour” to enjoy their accomplishments, so that means the Devils are celebrating, like, 24 times as much.
Anyway, Brodeur looked great but the aging future Hall of Famer will only be challenged more in the semifinals where the Devils will face the high-scoring Philadelphia Flyers.
Then again, if you watch these highlights of Brodeur’s work in Game 7, maybe there’s some reason to believe …This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)