Apr 27, 2012, 1:12 AM EDT
Martin Brodeur might be on the verge of 40, but he looked awfully spry when the Florida Panthers were breathing down the New Jersey Devils’ necks. Sure, he allowed two third period goals, yet he wouldn’t yield on the Panthers’ many other opportunities. The 3-2 win in double OT gave the Devils a 4-3 series win, allowing the team to advance to the second round for the first time since 2007.
Brodeur allowed himself to reflect on the win for just a little while with Tom Gulitti.
“It feels good for a day and then after that you’ve got to face the Flyers,” Brodeur said.
Uh oh, the Devils might be resting on their accomplishments too much. New York Rangers coach John Tortorella is allowing his team “an hour” to enjoy their accomplishments, so that means the Devils are celebrating, like, 24 times as much.
Anyway, Brodeur looked great but the aging future Hall of Famer will only be challenged more in the semifinals where the Devils will face the high-scoring Philadelphia Flyers.
Then again, if you watch these highlights of Brodeur’s work in Game 7, maybe there’s some reason to believe …This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)