Apr 27, 2012, 1:12 AM EDT
Martin Brodeur might be on the verge of 40, but he looked awfully spry when the Florida Panthers were breathing down the New Jersey Devils’ necks. Sure, he allowed two third period goals, yet he wouldn’t yield on the Panthers’ many other opportunities. The 3-2 win in double OT gave the Devils a 4-3 series win, allowing the team to advance to the second round for the first time since 2007.
Brodeur allowed himself to reflect on the win for just a little while with Tom Gulitti.
“It feels good for a day and then after that you’ve got to face the Flyers,” Brodeur said.
Uh oh, the Devils might be resting on their accomplishments too much. New York Rangers coach John Tortorella is allowing his team “an hour” to enjoy their accomplishments, so that means the Devils are celebrating, like, 24 times as much.
Anyway, Brodeur looked great but the aging future Hall of Famer will only be challenged more in the semifinals where the Devils will face the high-scoring Philadelphia Flyers.
Then again, if you watch these highlights of Brodeur’s work in Game 7, maybe there’s some reason to believe …This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 6
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)