Apr 27, 2012, 1:12 AM EST
Martin Brodeur might be on the verge of 40, but he looked awfully spry when the Florida Panthers were breathing down the New Jersey Devils’ necks. Sure, he allowed two third period goals, yet he wouldn’t yield on the Panthers’ many other opportunities. The 3-2 win in double OT gave the Devils a 4-3 series win, allowing the team to advance to the second round for the first time since 2007.
Brodeur allowed himself to reflect on the win for just a little while with Tom Gulitti.
“It feels good for a day and then after that you’ve got to face the Flyers,” Brodeur said.
Uh oh, the Devils might be resting on their accomplishments too much. New York Rangers coach John Tortorella is allowing his team “an hour” to enjoy their accomplishments, so that means the Devils are celebrating, like, 24 times as much.
Anyway, Brodeur looked great but the aging future Hall of Famer will only be challenged more in the semifinals where the Devils will face the high-scoring Philadelphia Flyers.
Then again, if you watch these highlights of Brodeur’s work in Game 7, maybe there’s some reason to believe …This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 1
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 14
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)