Apr 27, 2012, 1:12 AM EST
Martin Brodeur might be on the verge of 40, but he looked awfully spry when the Florida Panthers were breathing down the New Jersey Devils’ necks. Sure, he allowed two third period goals, yet he wouldn’t yield on the Panthers’ many other opportunities. The 3-2 win in double OT gave the Devils a 4-3 series win, allowing the team to advance to the second round for the first time since 2007.
Brodeur allowed himself to reflect on the win for just a little while with Tom Gulitti.
“It feels good for a day and then after that you’ve got to face the Flyers,” Brodeur said.
Uh oh, the Devils might be resting on their accomplishments too much. New York Rangers coach John Tortorella is allowing his team “an hour” to enjoy their accomplishments, so that means the Devils are celebrating, like, 24 times as much.
Anyway, Brodeur looked great but the aging future Hall of Famer will only be challenged more in the semifinals where the Devils will face the high-scoring Philadelphia Flyers.
Then again, if you watch these highlights of Brodeur’s work in Game 7, maybe there’s some reason to believe …This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)