Apr 26, 2012, 1:41 PM EDT
The referees for tonight’s Eastern Conference quarterfinal Game 7 between the Rangers and Senators are Brad Watson (#23) and Dan O’Halloran (#13)
Working the lines will be “Mean” Jean Morin (#97) and Brad “B-Rad” Kovachik (#71).
– Judging by his assignments, Watson has been this posteason’s “cooler”.
He was assigned Game 2 of the Detroit-Nashville series (after Game 1 had 17 minor penalties and the infamous Shea Weber-Henrik Zetterberg head smash) and Game 3 of New York-Ottawa (after Game 2 had the Matt Carkner-Brian Boyle attack and Carl Hagelin‘s high hit on Daniel Alfredsson.)
– In Sens-Rangers Game 3, Watson and fellow referee Mike Leggo sent an early message by calling two penalties in the first five minutes.
“They were trying to get control of it, and with what’s going on, I don’t really blame them,” Rangers forward Brian Boyle said of the officiating. “You don’t want to go in the box, especially with what’s at stake.”
– O’Halloran’s postseason has been quiet. His most contentious ruling (if you can call it contentious) came in Game 4 of the LA-Vancouver series, when he waved off a goal from Kings forward Brad Richardson.
– That said, this is not O’Halloran’s first rodeo. He came into this year with 74 playoff games worked and was front-and-center during last year’s Stanley Cup finals (most notably in watching the Brad Marchand-Daniel Sedin speedbagging.)
– Not much to say about the linesmen, other than they’re somewhat unfamiliar with this series. Kovachik worked Game 5; Game 7 will be Morin’s first.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 41
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 4
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 28
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 14
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination