Apr 26, 2012, 3:07 PM EST
Even with a tumultuous season behind him, Tim Thomas can’t escape scrutiny.
That was the case on Thursday as CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty tried to make sense of Thomas’ comments following last night’s Game 7 loss to the Washington Capitals, one that ended Boston’s season and dashed hopes of back-to-back Stanley Cup championships.
Thomas pointedly said “they” instead of “we” when discussing the Bruins, leading to speculation his days in Boston might be coming to an end.
Thomas showed some signs last night that he may be anticipating a trade.
Some observers said they spotted him stepping on the Bruins logo in the middle of the home dressing room — a definite no-no — after the game was over.
He also referenced the rest of the Bruins team as “they” at least five times during his postgame interview.
“What it says about our guys is that they’re battlers and they’re still champions,” he said. “They gave everything they had to the bitter end. Unfortunately this is sports and they fell short this time.”
The remarks were consistent with Thomas’ tendency to paint himself as an individual.
Haggerty’s article echoes what ESPN Boston’s Jimmy Murphy wrote following Boston’s Game 4 loss. Murphy was critical of Thomas “calling out teammates” and failing to accept responsibility for the defeat, suggesting there was a divide between goaltender and skaters.
Without getting too conspiratorial, one has to wonder if articles like these reflect the organization’s feeling towards Thomas. While GM Peter Chiarelli and President Cam Neely didn’t publicly denounce the White House snub and subsequent political rants, it’s clear both were displeased Thomas made himself a distraction by putting his personal interests above the team’s.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)