Apr 26, 2012, 10:51 PM EST
It took the New York Rangers seven games, and they only barely managed to come away with a 2-1 victory on Thursday, but they’ve succeeded. They’re going to the second round.
“They should be real proud of themselves,” Rangers coach John Tortorella said. “For about an hour.”
Yes, because ultimately getting past the first round was never the goal. The Rangers finished the season with the top seed in the Eastern Conference and won more games than any team still standing. A long playoff run is the expectation, although to accomplish that they’ll have to get through the Washington Capitals. Washington dispatched them in five games last season, but a lot has changed over the last year.
“They’re a team that’s a lot like we are,” Henrik Lundqvist told PHT’s Joe Yerdon. “It’s going to be a hard series.”
The Rangers have already experienced one of those in their playoff run and so have the Capitals for that matter. Then again, there aren’t many easy playoff series anymore.
Dec 29, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
GM and interim bench boss Lou Lamoriello’s making it up as he goes along.
Dec 29, 2014, 12:09 AM EST
“I don’t even know anymore.”
Dec 28, 2014, 11:12 PM EST
Literally, in the case of Cam Fowler’s game-winning goal.
Dec 28, 2014, 10:03 PM EST
Winnipeg recalled Patrice Cormier in case the power forward can’t play.
Dec 28, 2014, 8:57 PM EST
Head coach Claude Julien has some choice words for his team.
Dec 28, 2014, 8:09 PM EST
Florida’s breathing down Toronto’s neck in the East standings.
Dec 28, 2014, 7:05 PM EST
There are some concussion concerns.
Dec 28, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
Reto Berra might not see much action going forward.
Dec 28, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Has been out of St. Louis’ lineup since Nov. 25.
Dec 28, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Playing for the first time since Nov. 4
Dec 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Has missed three games with an upper body injury.
Dec 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
The forward will miss a few weeks with a lower body injury.
Dec 28, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Recalled goaltender Christopher Gibson from AHL.
Dec 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Kevin Poulin returned to Bridgeport.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
Has missed the first 35 games of the season.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Boston’s Matt Fraser also on the waiver wire.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Anton Forsberg reassigned to Springfield.
Dec 28, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Rasmus Ristolainen is sick.
Dec 28, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
The Dallas forward has been suspended three times in two seasons.
Dec 28, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Expected to serve as an extra defenseman as the Canucks visit the Ducks.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2