Apr 26, 2012, 12:10 PM EST
According to Rich Chere of the New Jersey Star-Ledger, Florida Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen’s confirmed Jose Theodore will start in goal for tonight’s Game 7 against the Devils and that defenseman Jason Garrison will return to the lineup as well.
Going back to Theodore means the Panthers will have alternated starters in each of their last five playoff games. Theodore started Game 3, Clemmensen Game 4, Theodore Game 5, Clemmensen Game 6…and now Theodore for Game 7.
It’s one of the most bizarre playoff goaltending situations in recent memory, especially for a team on the verge of advancing to the second round.
As for Garrison, getting him back after a three-game absence will be huge. One, he’ll help out Florida’s struggling power play, which has gone 1-for-13 over the last three games. Two, he’ll lighten the load on a defense that was thin to begin with prior to his and Keaton Ellerby‘s injuries.
In Game 6, Florida once again used a heavy five-man defensive rotation with Brian Campbell (27:10), Mike Weaver (25:24), Dmitry Kulikov (23:40), Erik Gudbranson (20:37), Ed Jovanovski (20:14) all playing a ton to compensate for AHL San Antonio call-up Tyson Strachan (13:34).
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)