Apr 26, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT
Winning a Stanley Cup as a rookie would be a dream come true for any aspiring NHL player, but eventually everyone in hockey finds out what it means to have your season cut short. Such was the case for Tyler Seguin, who lifted the Cup in his inaugural season, but was part of a Bruins team that was booted from the playoffs in the first round this year.
“With last year obviously winning it and all – you feel lucky and fortunate. But you don’t really grasp the whole worth of the Stanley Cup,” said Seguin. “I think more and more you get to learn and losing here, we definitely get a new feeling.”
Although he had a great sophomore campaign, Seguin didn’t register a point in the first five games of Boston’s first round series. It wasn’t until Game 6 that he finally became a factor offensively. However, Seguin should have a bigger impact in the postseason as he gets older.
“I think the more games you play in playoffs the more experience you’re going to gain, the more confidence and composure you’re going to have for the next time it happens,” said Seguin. “I look forward to next year.”
Given that the Bruins’ core should largely stay intact, Seguin might be part of another lengthy run in 2013.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)