Apr 26, 2012, 1:10 PM EST
A couple of updates on the Roberto Luongo situation in Vancouver.
First off, Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reports that the Canucks didn’t have to ask Luongo to waive his no-trade clause – the goalie asked to be moved during his exit meetings.
Kypreos didn’t specify why a trade was requested. Maybe Luongo wants a fresh start somewhere else. Maybe he wants to move closer to his family. Most likely he wants to move to a team where he’ll be the undisputed number one.
You can’t really blame him for that. Luongo is a starting NHL goalie. If the Canucks feel Cory Schneider is the better option, then that’s the way it is. No sense in sitting on the bench when you could be contributing somewhere else.
Secondly, Canucks general manager Mike Gillis went on Vancouver radio today and commented on the Luongo story.
“We’ve met but we decided we’re going to talk in a few days,” Gillis told TEAM 1040. “We’re going to take a deep breath.”
“I haven’t made up my mind about the goaltending. We need to step back and plan out what we’re going to do with this team.”
Assistant GM Laurence Gilman echoed that message.
“This is an important decision for our organization and the players involved,” he told ESPN’s Pierre Lebrun. “It is not going to be something we discuss publicly throughout the process.”
When a trade actually occurs is anyone’s guess. The draft is June 22 in Pittsburgh. Maybe then.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)