Apr 26, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
A couple of updates on the Roberto Luongo situation in Vancouver.
First off, Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reports that the Canucks didn’t have to ask Luongo to waive his no-trade clause – the goalie asked to be moved during his exit meetings.
Kypreos didn’t specify why a trade was requested. Maybe Luongo wants a fresh start somewhere else. Maybe he wants to move closer to his family. Most likely he wants to move to a team where he’ll be the undisputed number one.
You can’t really blame him for that. Luongo is a starting NHL goalie. If the Canucks feel Cory Schneider is the better option, then that’s the way it is. No sense in sitting on the bench when you could be contributing somewhere else.
Secondly, Canucks general manager Mike Gillis went on Vancouver radio today and commented on the Luongo story.
“We’ve met but we decided we’re going to talk in a few days,” Gillis told TEAM 1040. “We’re going to take a deep breath.”
“I haven’t made up my mind about the goaltending. We need to step back and plan out what we’re going to do with this team.”
Assistant GM Laurence Gilman echoed that message.
“This is an important decision for our organization and the players involved,” he told ESPN’s Pierre Lebrun. “It is not going to be something we discuss publicly throughout the process.”
When a trade actually occurs is anyone’s guess. The draft is June 22 in Pittsburgh. Maybe then.
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 77
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 27
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 6
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 5
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (74)