Apr 26, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
A couple of updates on the Roberto Luongo situation in Vancouver.
First off, Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reports that the Canucks didn’t have to ask Luongo to waive his no-trade clause – the goalie asked to be moved during his exit meetings.
Kypreos didn’t specify why a trade was requested. Maybe Luongo wants a fresh start somewhere else. Maybe he wants to move closer to his family. Most likely he wants to move to a team where he’ll be the undisputed number one.
You can’t really blame him for that. Luongo is a starting NHL goalie. If the Canucks feel Cory Schneider is the better option, then that’s the way it is. No sense in sitting on the bench when you could be contributing somewhere else.
Secondly, Canucks general manager Mike Gillis went on Vancouver radio today and commented on the Luongo story.
“We’ve met but we decided we’re going to talk in a few days,” Gillis told TEAM 1040. “We’re going to take a deep breath.”
“I haven’t made up my mind about the goaltending. We need to step back and plan out what we’re going to do with this team.”
Assistant GM Laurence Gilman echoed that message.
“This is an important decision for our organization and the players involved,” he told ESPN’s Pierre Lebrun. “It is not going to be something we discuss publicly throughout the process.”
When a trade actually occurs is anyone’s guess. The draft is June 22 in Pittsburgh. Maybe then.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 25
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)