Apr 26, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
It’s an interesting candidate list in that Chara’s won a Norris before (2009), Weber’s been nominated (2011) while Karlsson is the decided newbie of the group — this is the 21-year-old’s first-ever candidacy.
Some things to consider:
— The Norris is voted on by the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association.
— This year will mark just the fourth time since 2001 the Norris will go to someone other than Nicklas Lidstrom.
— Chara has a chance to enter rarefied air with a second win. Only 11 defensemen in NHL history have captured multiple Norris Trophies: Lidstrom, Larry Robinson, Denis Potvin, Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey, Pierre Pilote, Chris Chelios, Rod Langway, Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey and Brian Leetch.
— FYI on Karlsson being nominated at 21 years old: In 1967-68, Orr became the youngest winner ever (20 years, three months). In 2009-10, Drew Doughty (20 years, four months) became one of the youngest nominees ever, but lost out to Duncan Keith.
— Chara is the third Bruin in franchise history to win a Norris (Orr and Bourque were the others. No Predator or Senator has ever won one.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)