Apr 26, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
It’s an interesting candidate list in that Chara’s won a Norris before (2009), Weber’s been nominated (2011) while Karlsson is the decided newbie of the group — this is the 21-year-old’s first-ever candidacy.
Some things to consider:
— The Norris is voted on by the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association.
— This year will mark just the fourth time since 2001 the Norris will go to someone other than Nicklas Lidstrom.
— Chara has a chance to enter rarefied air with a second win. Only 11 defensemen in NHL history have captured multiple Norris Trophies: Lidstrom, Larry Robinson, Denis Potvin, Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey, Pierre Pilote, Chris Chelios, Rod Langway, Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey and Brian Leetch.
— FYI on Karlsson being nominated at 21 years old: In 1967-68, Orr became the youngest winner ever (20 years, three months). In 2009-10, Drew Doughty (20 years, four months) became one of the youngest nominees ever, but lost out to Duncan Keith.
— Chara is the third Bruin in franchise history to win a Norris (Orr and Bourque were the others. No Predator or Senator has ever won one.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 50
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50