Apr 26, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
It’s an interesting candidate list in that Chara’s won a Norris before (2009), Weber’s been nominated (2011) while Karlsson is the decided newbie of the group — this is the 21-year-old’s first-ever candidacy.
Some things to consider:
– The Norris is voted on by the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association.
– This year will mark just the fourth time since 2001 the Norris will go to someone other than Nicklas Lidstrom.
– Chara has a chance to enter rarefied air with a second win. Only 11 defensemen in NHL history have captured multiple Norris Trophies: Lidstrom, Larry Robinson, Denis Potvin, Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey, Pierre Pilote, Chris Chelios, Rod Langway, Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey and Brian Leetch.
– FYI on Karlsson being nominated at 21 years old: In 1967-68, Orr became the youngest winner ever (20 years, three months). In 2009-10, Drew Doughty (20 years, four months) became one of the youngest nominees ever, but lost out to Duncan Keith.
– Chara is the third Bruin in franchise history to win a Norris (Orr and Bourque were the others. No Predator or Senator has ever won one.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)