Apr 26, 2012, 2:41 PM EDT
Promising news for Flyers fans – it’s looking more and more like defenseman Nicklas Grossmann will be available for Game 1 of Philadelphia’s second-round series against an opponent still to be determined.
As reported by Philly.com’s Sam Carchidi, Grossmann practiced today in a contact-permitted jersey. The big, physical defenseman has been out since suffering a concussion in Game 4 of the Penguins series.
It’s also likely the Flyers will have defenseman Andrej Meszaros back soon, though it’s unclear whether he’ll be ready in time for the series opener.
Philadelphia needs all the quality defensemen it can muster. Yes, the Flyers eliminated the Penguins. However, they also surrendered 26 goals in six games, and not all of that can be pinned on goaltending.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)