Apr 26, 2012, 10:03 AM EST
Brooks Orpik, who serves as the Pittsburgh Penguins’ union representative, doesn’t think we’re headed for a strike or lockout. Although there hasn’t been a lot of reported progress towards a new CBA, Orpik is optimistic going forward.
“We’ve had quite a few meetings the last two or three months, which almost the whole team attended,” Orpik said. “I know a lot of that hasn’t been publicized.
“I think there’s been more communication between the two sides than people are aware of. I think both sides are pretty optimistic something will get done. I think there’s too much to lose after the last one we had to have another work stoppage.”
It’s certainly hard to picture another stoppage like the one that claimed the 2004-05 campaign, but then, until we get a new CBA we can’t know for sure. The two sides do not appear to be close to reaching an agreement, but the current CBA doesn’t expire until September, so they still have plenty of time to get something done.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 44
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (47)