Apr 26, 2012, 10:07 PM EDT
Chris Kreider is a big game player – or so we assume, we still haven’t actually seen him play in a “small” game at the NHL level.
After winning a national championship with Boston College, Kreider has moved on to playing in the postseason without ever participating in a regular season NHL game.
That’s impressive on its own – and the fact that he got the deciding goal in Game 6 is nothing to sneeze at – but Game 7 provided the most startling development yet. With the Rangers season on the line, coach John Tortorella showed a lot of faith in the youngster by giving him 18:21 minutes of ice time. To put that in perspective, that’s nine more seconds than Marian Gaborik got.
“He has no fear,” Tortorella told PHT’s Joe Yerdon.
Kreider held his own in the contest and finished the game with a plus-one rating. Although he isn’t expected to be a star in the Rangers playoff run, his presence certainly helps to tip the scales in their favor.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (59)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)