In surprising news, Phoenix GM now regrets his “murdered a busload of children” comment

Apr 26, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT

Don Maloney Getty Images

Given the media frenzy that followed Raffi Torres‘ hit on Marian Hossa, it wasn’t surprising when Coyotes general manager Don Maloney publicly defended Torres and tried to deflect some of the scrutiny.

The way he went about it, though — that was pretty surprising.

“You would think Raffi murdered a busload of children the way he’s portrayed here in Chicago,” Maloney said at the time. “[The] outcry on so many different fronts is over the top.”

While he was probably going on the notion that “everybody loves a good child killing joke,” Maloney later realized his comment was in poor taste. Yesterday, he expressed regret about the remark.

“I was really embarrassed to be honest,” he told the Arizona Republic. “I didn’t think about it much and when I saw it in print … I just didn’t feel good. It wasn’t funny. It was inappropriate, and I was embarrassed.”

Maloney’s comment was the last negative thing the Coyotes organization issued following the Torres-Hossa incident. The club even went so far as to post this on the team website:

“I want to thank Brendan Shanahan and his staff for their thorough review of this incident,” said Maloney. “The ruling is very severe for Raffi and our Hockey Club. Raffi plays a hard, physical game yet this contact crossed the line on what is acceptable in our game today. We hope Marian Hossa makes a full and speedy recovery as we all enjoy watching him perform. The Club accepts the NHL’s decision.”

PHT Related

NHL-owned Coyotes agree with Torres suspension decision

1. tmjm621 - Apr 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Idk what the need for regret is?? He didnt threaten anyone its jus a saying

2. kcprof926 - Apr 26, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I wonder if they lost the series if he would feel bad about the statement. They are all hypocrites

3. taytay099 - Apr 26, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I didn’t think his comment was wrong. I thought he was right about how people were reacting to the hit.

4. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I’ve been there before. Sometimes you say something in the heat of the moment (or under the influence) that everyone finds awesome but you later regret for whatever reason. It happens.

5. hky15 - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Backpedaling much? If you say something, mean it or don’t say it. As simple as that. And heat of the moment or not.

6. ron05342 - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:43 PM

What a moron.

7. comeonnowguys - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I still don’t get his outrage. It’s like adopting one of Michael Vick’s fighting pit bulls and being shocked when it bites someone.

8. johnnyru131 - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Actually the judge ordered Vicks dogs to be rehabbed and most of those “fighting dogs” are now therapy dogs. Just goes to show pitbulls aren’t take fighters everyone thinks they are. Before ppl try arguing that, I’m a dog trainer so don’t even try to attempt and prove me wrong.

Anyway I was once stuck in traffic on TE highway and said, “someone better have died for making me be late to the party” I said it in the heat of the moment. I didn’t really mean it and I apologized to my wife for making a stupid comment like that.

9. blackhawks2010 - Apr 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Does it matter what this GM says? Phoenix will not have a hockey team in 3 years, just saying.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches