Apr 26, 2012, 6:42 PM EDT
Given the media frenzy that followed Raffi Torres‘ hit on Marian Hossa, it wasn’t surprising when Coyotes general manager Don Maloney publicly defended Torres and tried to deflect some of the scrutiny.
The way he went about it, though — that was pretty surprising.
“You would think Raffi murdered a busload of children the way he’s portrayed here in Chicago,” Maloney said at the time. “[The] outcry on so many different fronts is over the top.”
While he was probably going on the notion that “everybody loves a good child killing joke,” Maloney later realized his comment was in poor taste. Yesterday, he expressed regret about the remark.
“I was really embarrassed to be honest,” he told the Arizona Republic. “I didn’t think about it much and when I saw it in print … I just didn’t feel good. It wasn’t funny. It was inappropriate, and I was embarrassed.”
Maloney’s comment was the last negative thing the Coyotes organization issued following the Torres-Hossa incident. The club even went so far as to post this on the team website:
“I want to thank Brendan Shanahan and his staff for their thorough review of this incident,” said Maloney. “The ruling is very severe for Raffi and our Hockey Club. Raffi plays a hard, physical game yet this contact crossed the line on what is acceptable in our game today. We hope Marian Hossa makes a full and speedy recovery as we all enjoy watching him perform. The Club accepts the NHL’s decision.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)