Apr 26, 2012, 10:56 PM EDT
The present and future seems awfully bright for Ottawa Senators defenseman Erik Karlsson, but there were definitely some growing pains in a 4-3 series loss to the New York Rangers. After blowing away every other blueliner in scoring with 78 points during the regular season, the gifted offensive catalyst only managed a goal in seven contests against the Rangers.
Karlsson expressed his frustrations to Damien Cox after the 2-1 loss.
“I had a tough time getting quality chances,” Karlsson said.
On many levels, it makes sense that Karlsson struggled so much against the Rangers. The most obvious reason is New York netminder (and fellow Swede) Henrik Lundqvist. It’s also understandable that a brilliant point man like Karlsson would struggle to adjust to clogging passing and shooting lanes that come from the Blueshirts’ noted affinity with shot blocking.
It wasn’t for a lack of trying, however, as Karlsson still managed to get 31 shots on goal in the seven games, with one beating Lundqvist. The Senators hope that their star blueliner learns a lot of lessons from this series – and not all of them in his own end (where most of his critiques come).
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)