Apr 26, 2012, 10:56 PM EST
The present and future seems awfully bright for Ottawa Senators defenseman Erik Karlsson, but there were definitely some growing pains in a 4-3 series loss to the New York Rangers. After blowing away every other blueliner in scoring with 78 points during the regular season, the gifted offensive catalyst only managed a goal in seven contests against the Rangers.
Karlsson expressed his frustrations to Damien Cox after the 2-1 loss.
“I had a tough time getting quality chances,” Karlsson said.
On many levels, it makes sense that Karlsson struggled so much against the Rangers. The most obvious reason is New York netminder (and fellow Swede) Henrik Lundqvist. It’s also understandable that a brilliant point man like Karlsson would struggle to adjust to clogging passing and shooting lanes that come from the Blueshirts’ noted affinity with shot blocking.
It wasn’t for a lack of trying, however, as Karlsson still managed to get 31 shots on goal in the seven games, with one beating Lundqvist. The Senators hope that their star blueliner learns a lot of lessons from this series – and not all of them in his own end (where most of his critiques come).
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 8
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 22
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 27
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 69
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (70)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)