Apr 26, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
The days of the Washington Capitals scoring over 300 goals in a single season seem to be firmly in the past. After winning their division for three straight seasons from 2008-10, but still falling short in the playoffs, Washington attempted to play a more defensive game, first under Bruce Boudreau and now under new coach Dale Hunter.
The Capitals struggled in the regular season, but ultimately, with the help of a hot goaltender, they made it past the defending Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins in seven games.
“We got through the first round,” Capitals owner Ted Leonsis said. “We did that last year. So there’s relief and joy but there’s a lot of work left to do. I’ll think we improved over last year if we can get through the second round. That’s the goal, to do better year after year and this system seems to be the right system to play in the playoffs.
“To have seven one-goal games and four overtime games, this certainly was the best, most competitive series since I’ve owned the team.”
This does seem like a different breed of Capitals team. For all their offensive talent, it’s been their goaltending and defense that’s pushed them this far. The question now is if it will be enough in the second round or if all this drama will ultimately lead to another early exit.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 9
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 21
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 12
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)