Apr 26, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The funny thing about all the “upset” talk regarding the Washington Capitals taking a seven-game series against the Boston Bruins is that the Caps came into this season with just as much Stanley Cup hype as the defending champions. It just so happened that Washington kinda flopped during most of the 2011-12 season. Stephen Whyno quotes Capitals GM George McPhee on how important the Game 7 really is for the franchise.
“We needed to win a series like this, this franchise needed it,” McPhee said. “We played [the Boston Bruins] as hard as we could. I don’t know how we did it, but it was nice to see that go in. We needed it.”
Even at this point, it seems unclear if Capitals coach Dale Hunter will be back in 2012-13. That’s the natural reaction one has to seeing Alex Ovechkin receiving less time on ice than six other Capitals forwards. Yet from the way McPhee discusses the situation, Hunter is passing his tests with flying colors.
“It’s one of the most committed groups we’ve ever had. They’ll do anything to win,” McPhee said. “We were playing playoff games the last couple months of the regular season. And when we did what Dale asked, it worked. We won games. It worked in the first round here.”
It didn’t work by much, but for a team that has lost its fair share of Game 7s in the Alex Ovechkin era, coming out on top during one of those coin flip affairs must generate a rather satisfying feeling.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)