Apr 26, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The funny thing about all the “upset” talk regarding the Washington Capitals taking a seven-game series against the Boston Bruins is that the Caps came into this season with just as much Stanley Cup hype as the defending champions. It just so happened that Washington kinda flopped during most of the 2011-12 season. Stephen Whyno quotes Capitals GM George McPhee on how important the Game 7 really is for the franchise.
“We needed to win a series like this, this franchise needed it,” McPhee said. “We played [the Boston Bruins] as hard as we could. I don’t know how we did it, but it was nice to see that go in. We needed it.”
Even at this point, it seems unclear if Capitals coach Dale Hunter will be back in 2012-13. That’s the natural reaction one has to seeing Alex Ovechkin receiving less time on ice than six other Capitals forwards. Yet from the way McPhee discusses the situation, Hunter is passing his tests with flying colors.
“It’s one of the most committed groups we’ve ever had. They’ll do anything to win,” McPhee said. “We were playing playoff games the last couple months of the regular season. And when we did what Dale asked, it worked. We won games. It worked in the first round here.”
It didn’t work by much, but for a team that has lost its fair share of Game 7s in the Alex Ovechkin era, coming out on top during one of those coin flip affairs must generate a rather satisfying feeling.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)