Apr 26, 2012, 10:15 PM EST
There are probably a lot of emotions flowing through the New York Rangers locker room right now, but one of the definite ones must be “relief.” Yet of all the players, Marian Gaborik might be the most grateful to wave goodbye to the pesky Ottawa Senators after a 2-1 Game 7 victory and 4-3 series win.
In seven games, Gaborik scored one goal and two assists for three points and a -1 rating. Those aren’t outright disastrous numbers, but for a guy who carries a $7.5 million cap hit – not to mention some of the most dazzling wheels and dangerous hands in the NHL – it’s worrisome. If the Rangers were booted tonight, he might have been fitted with the largest goat horns.
The most troubling part might not be his production. Instead, it might be the lack of assertiveness. After firing 276 shots on goal this season (about 3.37 per game), he averaged less than two shots per game in the first round (13 in seven contests). Shots on goal aren’t meant to be a Bible of confidence, yet it provides a window into a sniper’s soul more often than not.
So, the question is: can he get it together?
Looking at his split stats against the Capitals from the regular season, it doesn’t seem like a guarantee. He only managed a single goal and zero assists in four contests against Washington in 2010-11.
Much like the first seven games of the playoffs, that’s a small sample size, though. Gaborik knows as much as anyone that puck luck can be at its cruelest in the postseason. He’ll get a clean slate just like everyone else when that semifinals series starts and if he runs with it, the Rangers will be that much tougher to beat.
Do you think he’ll do it, though?
Jan 28, 2015, 3:02 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings are bad at the shootout, and the Buffalo Sabres are good at it.
Jan 28, 2015, 2:15 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Jan 28, 2015, 1:51 PM EST
An incident against Philly on Jan. 19 was the straw that broke the camel’s back.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EST
Chris Stewart remains a member of the worst team in the NHL.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EST
“We’re not giving up on him at all.”
Jan 28, 2015, 1:16 PM EST
Someone check the water in Columbus.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:11 PM EST
“That was a team with tremendous character, with great coaches, great players and quality individuals. “
Jan 28, 2015, 12:51 PM EST
Habs’ d-man was tossed from Tuesday night’s game.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:52 AM EST
“It shouldn’t be a part of hockey,” said Canucks captain Henrik Sedin.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:51 AM EST
Could be bad news. Could be good. All depends who you cheer for.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Boston d-man has struggled this season, but could be on the move by Mar. 2.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EST
Los Angeles is currently out of the West’s top eight.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:16 AM EST
“Show up to your job, and you’re off suspension.”
Jan 28, 2015, 11:08 AM EST
Jim Rutherford, really working the phones.
Jan 28, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“I got nothing left here.”
Jan 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
Both teams played last night.
Jan 28, 2015, 8:46 AM EST
Wednesday’s links lean toward a legend.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:45 AM EST
Vancouver has now been shutout in back-to-back home games.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:00 AM EST
Pittsburgh was without Crosby and Malkin.
Jan 28, 2015, 12:15 AM EST
He’s going to need some dental work.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)