Apr 25, 2012, 11:01 PM EDT
It’s common in sports to see people repeat phrases to honor its stars (or shorten their names). It always seemed wrong – if understandable – that LaDainian Tomlinson was called “LT” after Lawrence Taylor owned it. It kinda felt the same way when Game 7 OT hero Joel Ward evoked Marshawn Lynch’s shtick when describing Braden Holtby‘s great play during a 4-3 series win.
“He’s been in beast mode,” Ward said.
Don’t get me wrong, that’s a fine phrase, just not the ideal one.
Honestly, with the way he didn’t even react to Rich Peverley‘s slash threat, I think I’d evoke the “ice water in veins” cliches. I’ll open the floor for some cool nicknames for Holtby then – give it your best shot.
(Editor’s note: if Ward was somehow making a reference to that so-bad-it-was-good Sega game “Altered Beast,” then I retract any criticisms I just made.)
Here’s video of Ward’s interview:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Also, check out this clip of Holtby’s own reactions:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 0
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 23
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 39
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 152
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (152)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)