Ward on Holtby: “He’s in beast mode”

Apr 25, 2012, 11:01 PM EDT

holtbygetty Getty Images

It’s common in sports to see people repeat phrases to honor its stars (or shorten their names). It always seemed wrong – if understandable – that LaDainian Tomlinson was called “LT” after Lawrence Taylor owned it. It kinda felt the same way when Game 7 OT hero Joel Ward evoked Marshawn Lynch’s shtick when describing Braden Holtby‘s great play during a 4-3 series win.

“He’s been in beast mode,” Ward said.

Don’t get me wrong, that’s a fine phrase, just not the ideal one.

Honestly, with the way he didn’t even react to Rich Peverley‘s slash threat, I think I’d evoke the “ice water in veins” cliches. I’ll open the floor for some cool nicknames for Holtby then – give it your best shot.

(Editor’s note: if Ward was somehow making a reference to that so-bad-it-was-good Sega game “Altered Beast,” then I retract any criticisms I just made.)

Here’s video of Ward’s interview:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Also, check out this clip of Holtby’s own reactions:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. bozosforall - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Boston CHOKES yet again! First the Red Sox last fall, then the Pats this winter, now the Bruins this spring…next the Celtics this summer…or sooner.

City of CHOKERS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

• ravenscaps48 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:13 PM

You’re a douche

• bozosforall - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Not compared to you, douchebag.

• dcfan4life - Apr 26, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Ya know its hard to take that comment seriously when Boston is the only city to win all 4 major sporting championships in the last 10 years. Yes im so glad they lost, but calling a winning city chokers is just dumb.

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:40 AM

10 years is a blip on the sports radar. Try the 86 years that the Red Sox couldn’t win anything before 2004, or the 40+ years it took for the Bruins to finally win one again, or the 50+ years it took the Pats to win (albeit via cheating) their first SB…even the Celtics sucked for a long while before winning their only title in 25 years. By contrast, Boston won ZERO titles in the 90s. I guess that balances it out nicely.

2. ravenscaps48 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:13 PM

HOLT-BEAST!!!

• wickerskin - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:32 PM

even better – HOLD-BEAST

3. habsman - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:21 PM

That Peverley is a class act eh?

4. capsfan19 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Brazen holt-beast

5. bearsnbills - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Ward… I called your goal in the intermission… You were great with my Preds… Good luck!

6. verytalldad - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Beast mode is a phrase used commonly by the Washington Nationals, especially injured OF Michael Morse.

I think it was a some DC unity showing with the Beast Mode comment.

CAPS!!!!!!!!!

7. flavadave10 - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:06 AM

70: THE NUMBER OF THE HOLT-BEAST!!!!!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches