Apr 25, 2012, 9:51 AM EDT
If you thought about the factors that could go into Nicklas Lidstrom‘s decision on whether or not to retire from the NHL, would you guess that the future of teammate Tomas Holmstrom was one of them? Probably not, but that might just be the case.
Elliotte Friedman mentions in his weekly 30 Thoughts column that while there are many factors for Lidstrom to consider, the possibility of Holmstrom retiring might wind up being the one that makes up Lidstrom’s mind for him.
Ultimately, the No. 1 factor in Nicklas Lidstrom’s future is if he wants to put himself through everything it takes to get ready for the season. I mentioned on The Hotstove that he may leave if close friend Tomas Holmstrom retires — a theory that, apparently, was backed up by Chris Chelios on NHL Live.
Sound crazy? It isn’t. Holmstrom and Lidstrom are very close friends and given that they’ve both played together in Detroit for a long time, it probably makes Lidstrom’s life a lot easier having a friend and countryman in the locker room to go through the rigors with.
What a twist it would be to see one of the game’s greatest players call it a career because a close friend beat him to the punch to do so.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)