Apr 25, 2012, 9:51 AM EDT
If you thought about the factors that could go into Nicklas Lidstrom‘s decision on whether or not to retire from the NHL, would you guess that the future of teammate Tomas Holmstrom was one of them? Probably not, but that might just be the case.
Elliotte Friedman mentions in his weekly 30 Thoughts column that while there are many factors for Lidstrom to consider, the possibility of Holmstrom retiring might wind up being the one that makes up Lidstrom’s mind for him.
Ultimately, the No. 1 factor in Nicklas Lidstrom’s future is if he wants to put himself through everything it takes to get ready for the season. I mentioned on The Hotstove that he may leave if close friend Tomas Holmstrom retires — a theory that, apparently, was backed up by Chris Chelios on NHL Live.
Sound crazy? It isn’t. Holmstrom and Lidstrom are very close friends and given that they’ve both played together in Detroit for a long time, it probably makes Lidstrom’s life a lot easier having a friend and countryman in the locker room to go through the rigors with.
What a twist it would be to see one of the game’s greatest players call it a career because a close friend beat him to the punch to do so.
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 0
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 23
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24