Apr 25, 2012, 9:51 AM EDT
If you thought about the factors that could go into Nicklas Lidstrom‘s decision on whether or not to retire from the NHL, would you guess that the future of teammate Tomas Holmstrom was one of them? Probably not, but that might just be the case.
Elliotte Friedman mentions in his weekly 30 Thoughts column that while there are many factors for Lidstrom to consider, the possibility of Holmstrom retiring might wind up being the one that makes up Lidstrom’s mind for him.
Ultimately, the No. 1 factor in Nicklas Lidstrom’s future is if he wants to put himself through everything it takes to get ready for the season. I mentioned on The Hotstove that he may leave if close friend Tomas Holmstrom retires — a theory that, apparently, was backed up by Chris Chelios on NHL Live.
Sound crazy? It isn’t. Holmstrom and Lidstrom are very close friends and given that they’ve both played together in Detroit for a long time, it probably makes Lidstrom’s life a lot easier having a friend and countryman in the locker room to go through the rigors with.
What a twist it would be to see one of the game’s greatest players call it a career because a close friend beat him to the punch to do so.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)