Apr 25, 2012, 8:15 PM EST
Darryl Sutter isn’t Nostradamus, but he has become a surprisingly decent source of interesting (and often delightfully cranky) quotes. The eighth-ranked Los Angeles Kings were stout on the road in the first round and the Calgary Flames squad he coached within a game of the 2004 Stanley Cup were a low seed, too, but Sutter told Rich Hammond that he’d still prefer home ice if given the choice.
“As you go along, that’s all B.S., to be quite honest. I know from experience,” Sutter said. “It’s very simple. I’d rather have players getting treated in our treatment centers, and not in a hotel and not on an airplane, and getting practice in your own building. We’ve talked about it enough. You want to play a deciding game in your building, always.”
The chaos of the postseason forces us to try to make sense out of the sometimes senseless. In the most literal way, home ice advantage provides the last change and some faceoff perks to boot, but the true impact might just be subjective.
That being said, if the Kings manage to overcome another high seed or two (they’re primed to face the No. 2 St. Louis Blues and wouldn’t have home ice if they advanced again), Sutter might just get a reputation for overcoming the edge of home cooking.
Whatever edge that might be.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 57
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 72
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (72)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)