Apr 25, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens GM search might just rank as more exciting than anything that happened during their 2011-12 season, but it might just end in the way many of us assumed. TSN reports that Habs adviser/legend Serge Savard admitted he reached out to potential GM/legend Patrick Roy last week.
“It was not a formal interview,” Savard told Renaud Lavoie of RDS. “I just wanted to know his intentions.”
Well, we know Roy is keeping his “cell phone on,” so it sounds like he’ll at least listen to what Savard has to say. Even with candidates dropping in and out of the picture, it seems like the Canadiens have plenty of names to sort through. Savard told reporters that a general manager will be hired before a coach and while there isn’t a hard deadline, it appears that the team hopes to give the next GM time to prepare for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
“It should be settled in the coming weeks to allow at least three to four weeks for the next GM to prepare before the draft,” Savard said.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)