Apr 25, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens GM search might just rank as more exciting than anything that happened during their 2011-12 season, but it might just end in the way many of us assumed. TSN reports that Habs adviser/legend Serge Savard admitted he reached out to potential GM/legend Patrick Roy last week.
“It was not a formal interview,” Savard told Renaud Lavoie of RDS. “I just wanted to know his intentions.”
Well, we know Roy is keeping his “cell phone on,” so it sounds like he’ll at least listen to what Savard has to say. Even with candidates dropping in and out of the picture, it seems like the Canadiens have plenty of names to sort through. Savard told reporters that a general manager will be hired before a coach and while there isn’t a hard deadline, it appears that the team hopes to give the next GM time to prepare for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
“It should be settled in the coming weeks to allow at least three to four weeks for the next GM to prepare before the draft,” Savard said.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 35
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 98
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 87
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (99)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)