Apr 25, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens GM search might just rank as more exciting than anything that happened during their 2011-12 season, but it might just end in the way many of us assumed. TSN reports that Habs adviser/legend Serge Savard admitted he reached out to potential GM/legend Patrick Roy last week.
“It was not a formal interview,” Savard told Renaud Lavoie of RDS. “I just wanted to know his intentions.”
Well, we know Roy is keeping his “cell phone on,” so it sounds like he’ll at least listen to what Savard has to say. Even with candidates dropping in and out of the picture, it seems like the Canadiens have plenty of names to sort through. Savard told reporters that a general manager will be hired before a coach and while there isn’t a hard deadline, it appears that the team hopes to give the next GM time to prepare for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
“It should be settled in the coming weeks to allow at least three to four weeks for the next GM to prepare before the draft,” Savard said.
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 9
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 67
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte