Apr 25, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Seeing Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson throwing a fit on the bench during Game 6 in Ottawa was disturbing enough for many but it was something coach Paul MacLean didn’t agree with at all. Jason Spezza being benched for a spell left many scratching their head as well but for MacLean he says he was just doing his job as a coach.
Allan Panzeri of Senators Extra hears it from MacLean about why he did what he did in taking a pair of iconic Sens players to task.
“When we coach the team every night, we’ve said a lot of times that the best players play, and a lot of nights it’s Jason (Spezza) and (Alfredsson) and that group.
“(Monday night), it wasn’t, so it’s my job as coach to give the team the best opportunity to win, and the players that do that are the ones who should be on the ice at the right time.
“And that’s all it is to me.”
Instead of Spezza and Alfredsson it was Kyle Turris getting the call to try and finish things off for Ottawa. As we know, things didn’t go the Senators’ way and they’ll have to try and get it done on the road for Game 7 against the Rangers.
What’s most surprising is that there’s no outcry over MacLean’s decisions from fans and media alike. Full faith in the coach to do what it takes? Why that’s unheard of!
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 22
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 61
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)