Apr 25, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Seeing Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson throwing a fit on the bench during Game 6 in Ottawa was disturbing enough for many but it was something coach Paul MacLean didn’t agree with at all. Jason Spezza being benched for a spell left many scratching their head as well but for MacLean he says he was just doing his job as a coach.
Allan Panzeri of Senators Extra hears it from MacLean about why he did what he did in taking a pair of iconic Sens players to task.
“When we coach the team every night, we’ve said a lot of times that the best players play, and a lot of nights it’s Jason (Spezza) and (Alfredsson) and that group.
“(Monday night), it wasn’t, so it’s my job as coach to give the team the best opportunity to win, and the players that do that are the ones who should be on the ice at the right time.
“And that’s all it is to me.”
Instead of Spezza and Alfredsson it was Kyle Turris getting the call to try and finish things off for Ottawa. As we know, things didn’t go the Senators’ way and they’ll have to try and get it done on the road for Game 7 against the Rangers.
What’s most surprising is that there’s no outcry over MacLean’s decisions from fans and media alike. Full faith in the coach to do what it takes? Why that’s unheard of!
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 5
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 6
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 36
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 48
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (79)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)