Apr 25, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
Seeing Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson throwing a fit on the bench during Game 6 in Ottawa was disturbing enough for many but it was something coach Paul MacLean didn’t agree with at all. Jason Spezza being benched for a spell left many scratching their head as well but for MacLean he says he was just doing his job as a coach.
Allan Panzeri of Senators Extra hears it from MacLean about why he did what he did in taking a pair of iconic Sens players to task.
“When we coach the team every night, we’ve said a lot of times that the best players play, and a lot of nights it’s Jason (Spezza) and (Alfredsson) and that group.
“(Monday night), it wasn’t, so it’s my job as coach to give the team the best opportunity to win, and the players that do that are the ones who should be on the ice at the right time.
“And that’s all it is to me.”
Instead of Spezza and Alfredsson it was Kyle Turris getting the call to try and finish things off for Ottawa. As we know, things didn’t go the Senators’ way and they’ll have to try and get it done on the road for Game 7 against the Rangers.
What’s most surprising is that there’s no outcry over MacLean’s decisions from fans and media alike. Full faith in the coach to do what it takes? Why that’s unheard of!
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 8
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 18
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 26
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)