Apr 25, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
Seeing Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson throwing a fit on the bench during Game 6 in Ottawa was disturbing enough for many but it was something coach Paul MacLean didn’t agree with at all. Jason Spezza being benched for a spell left many scratching their head as well but for MacLean he says he was just doing his job as a coach.
Allan Panzeri of Senators Extra hears it from MacLean about why he did what he did in taking a pair of iconic Sens players to task.
“When we coach the team every night, we’ve said a lot of times that the best players play, and a lot of nights it’s Jason (Spezza) and (Alfredsson) and that group.
“(Monday night), it wasn’t, so it’s my job as coach to give the team the best opportunity to win, and the players that do that are the ones who should be on the ice at the right time.
“And that’s all it is to me.”
Instead of Spezza and Alfredsson it was Kyle Turris getting the call to try and finish things off for Ottawa. As we know, things didn’t go the Senators’ way and they’ll have to try and get it done on the road for Game 7 against the Rangers.
What’s most surprising is that there’s no outcry over MacLean’s decisions from fans and media alike. Full faith in the coach to do what it takes? Why that’s unheard of!
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)